Find out more about UCL's Honorary Degrees and Fellowships Committee, including terms of reference, membership, meetings and minutes.
On this page you will find:
Subject to any general or particular direction that may from time to time be given by Council, the Honorary Degrees and Fellowships Committee is charged by Council:
- In accordance with UCL Regulation for Management 9, to consider nominations for UCL Honorary Degrees, UCL Honorary Medals and UCL Council Recognition of Outstanding Contribution awards and to submit to Council for approval recommendations for the conferment of these awards.
- In accordance with UCL Statute 14 and UCL Regulation for Management 9, to consider nominations of Honorary Fellows of UCL, and to submit to Council for approval recommendations of names for election to the UCL Honorary Fellowship.
- To determine, keep under review and advise Council as necessary on UCL’s procedures for i) the conferment of Honorary Degrees and ii) election of Honorary Fellows of UCL and iii) the award of UCL Honorary Medals.
- To report to Council by submission to the Council officers of i) an annual report on the Committee's recommendations for conferment by UCL of Honorary Degrees, election to the UCL Honorary Fellowship, award of UCL Honorary Medals and UCL Council Recognition of Outstanding Contribution awards, and ii) the Minutes of each meeting of the Honorary Degrees and Fellowships Committee.
- The quorum of the Honorary Degrees & Fellowships Commmittee shall be half of the total members of the Committee.
- The number in ( ) indicates length of continuous service in years, up to and including the 2022-23 session. Length of service is not indicated for ex officio, student members, or observers.
Chair of Council (Chair)
President and Provost
Dr Michael Spence
Vice-Provost (Research, Innovation & Global Engagement)
Professor Geraint Rees
Students' Union UCL President
Deans of Faculties
Arts and Humanities
Professor Stella Bruzzi
Professor Alan Thompson
Professor Christoph Lindner
UCL Institute of Education
Professor Li Wei
Professor Nigel Titchener-Hooker
Professor Eloise Scotford
Professor Stephanie Schorge (Interim)
Mathematical and Physical Sciences
Professor Ivan Parkin
Professor Mark Emberton
Population Health Sciences
Professor Ibrahim Abubakar
Social and Historical Sciences
Professor Jennifer Hudson
One additional external Member of Council, appointed by the Council
- Dr Justin Turner KC
- Olivia Whiteley
- Friday 24 November 2023, 10.00am