The UCL Portering Service is able to carry out light removals and deliveries and the setting up of rooms for functions and events.
How to book the Porters' service
If you require UCL's portering services, please raise a service request through the customer helpdesk team. This page lists the information the portering team will need to carry out a booking, and the direct link to raising a service request.
We will require at least 4 working days notice.
What we need from you
Please provide the following details in your service request:
- What is the job - do you want a room set up for your event, or the monitors moved from your old office to a new one?
- Contact details - with an alternative point of contact if possible.
- When do you need it by - when do you need the work to be carried out?
- Packaging - packing and wrapping is not part of the portering service. The Portering Service does not supply packaging material. This must be procured separately by the requesting department.
- Building and room details - this could be the start and delivery points or where the event is taking place.
- Descriptions - a list of the items to be delivered or moved. An inventory is essential for a smooth move.
- Any other information - Are the items heavy? (ie, you can not move them yourself.) Do they include fixtures? Are there access issues? We will be bringing trollies to safely move large items, but if there's stairs between the item and the nearest lift we need to know about it.
Porters can be booked to set up furniture or rearrange room layouts, and to transport equipment between UCL premises.
- Event and room set-up
Please state any furniture or room layout requests when you make your room booking. These will automatically be passed onto the Portering team.
NB: Rooms will only be prepared for an event when this has been agreed in advance. We require at least 4 working days notice.
- Valuable and delicate items
If you require packing and moving of valuable or delicate items such as historic artefacts, art works, we recommend you contact a specialist logistics provider from one of UCL's contracted provider. These can be found through UCL's procurement list.
- Laboratory equipment moves
If you require the movement of specialist laboratory equipment, we recommend contacting UCL's specialist contractor, HRH Logistics Ltd.
If you have a large collection of waste or hazardous waste please raise a service request and call the customer helpdesk to arrange collection.
- Confidential waste
If you have a large quantity of confidential waste please raise a service request and call the customer helpdesk to arrange collection.
- Electrical and Electronic Equipment
If you have any type of electrical waste such as fridges, computers and computer monitors, please raise a service request and call the customer helpdesk to arrange collection. Please ensure you list all the items to be removed and these items are packed suitably for transport.
Additional charges may apply for large or complex requests including the additional use of resources including personnel, equipment or vehicles. Otherwise, there will be no charge to UCL departments.
These costs will be recharged to the client's Department. You are free to source your own contractor available through the Procurement pages.
Damage to UCL equipment or property, caused during an event, will be recharged to the event organisers. Please note poster boards should not be placed outside and sign stands should not be left in the open overnight.
We may send out a Team Leader to perform a risk assessment prior to any moves taking place. Please bear this in mind when requesting a specific completion date.
This may also result in the use of external resources.