EMERG has been running two meetings every term in the Department of English Language and Literature since 2017.
In each meeting, we discuss a wide selection of extracts organised around a central theme, which we circulate in advance via our mailing list. Discussion is lively and informal; previous topics have included stones & statues, dreams, letters & letter-writing, gardens, insects, fake news and the female mind. All staff and students with an interest in the literature and history of the Renaissance in England and beyond are warmly invited to attend.
Term 1 2022-2023 Schedule
- Edmund Spenser, Muiopotmos: Or, The Fate of the Butterfly - 1st February 2022
- Thomas Nashe, 'To the gentlemen students of both universities' - 8th December 2021
- Walter Raleigh, 'The Ocean to Cynthia' - 3rd November 2021
- Sermons - 20th January 2021
- Libraries & Exhibitions - 3rd March 2021
- Renaissance Epic: 28th October 2020
- Montaigne and the Essay in England: 2nd December 2020