Professor Ofer Lahav
Publications List (via UCL IRIS)
- The DES Book was published in September 2020, and two virtual launch events were held on 13 October 2020 and 25 November 2020.
- The RAS George Darwin 2020 Lecture was delivered by Ofer on 9 October 2020. A recording of the lecture is available on the RAS website (slides available here), and you can watch Ofer receiving his lectureship award at the RAS Award Ceremony 2020.
- The virtual launch of the Newton-funded UCL-Jordan Data Science programme was held on 24 April 2020.
- From Deep Learning to the Dark Universe: A conference held in honour of Ofer's 60th Birthday
- Education and Previous Roles
Ofer studied at Tel-Aviv University (BSc, 1980), at Ben-Gurion University (MSc, 1985; supervised by Jacob Bekenstein) and earned his PhD from the University of Cambridge (1988; supervised by George Efstathiou and Donald Lynden-Bell), where he was later a Member of Staff at the Institute of Astronomy (1990-2003) and a Fellow of St Catharine's College.
At UCL he previously served as Head of Astrophysics (2004-2011), establishing Cosmology as a research area, and as Vice-Dean (for Research) of the Faculty of Mathematical and Physical Sciences (2011-2015).
- Research and Publications
- Cosmological probes of Dark Matter and Dark Energy
- Large spectroscopic and photometric redshift surveys
- Neutrino Cosmology
- Formation and evolution of galaxies
- Data Science
During 2012-2018 he held a European Research Council (ERC) Advanced Grant on "Testing the Dark Energy Paradigm" (TESTDE).
Ofer has over 400 research articles in refereed journals, see full publication list.
Other relevant links:
- Current and Past PhD Students
Over the years, Ofer has supervised over 30 PhD students at Cambridge and UCL.
Current PhD Students
- Lucy Clerkin
- Ben Henghes
- Constantina Nicolaou
- Sunil Mucesh
- Prabh Bhambra
- Joshua Williamson
Past PhD Students
At Cambridge: Caleb Scharf, Avi Naim, Andy Loan, Simon Folkes, Matthew Webster, Manula Magliocchetti, Andrew Firth, Darren Madgwick, Pirin Erdogdu, Adrian Collister, Vivienne Wild
At UCL: Anais Rassat, Alexandra Abate, Chris Lintott, Angeliki Kiakotou , Manda Banerji, Shuan Thomas, Adam Hawken, Fotini Economou, Morgan Hollis, Maayane Soumagnac. Antonella Palmese, Davide Gualdi, Michael McLeod, John Soo, Niall Jeffrey, Krishna Naidoo
- Current and Past Postdocs
- Qianjun (Ellen) Hang
- Lorne Whiteway
At Cambridge: Karl Fisher, Basilio Santiago, Sarah Bridle, Jochen Weller, Oystein Elgaroy, Irit Maor
At UCL: Igancio Ferreras, Filipe Abdalla, Kazuhide Ichikawa, Eduardo Cypriano. Manda Benerji, Ole Host, Gert Hutsi, Molly Swanson, Chris Sabiu, Sree Balan, Aurelien Benoit-Levy, Stephanie Jouvel, Donnacha Kirk, Michelle Lochner, Marc Manera, Alex Merson, Iftach Sadeh, Will Hartley, Anges Ferte, Satya Gontcho a Gontcho, Fabian Krause, Pablo Lemos
- Collaborative international projects
- The Dark Energy Survey - Survey of 300,000,000 galaxies to study the nature of Dark Energy
- HST Clash - Hubble Space Telescope imaging survey of galaxy clusters
- DESI - The Dark Energy Spectroscopic Instrument
- LSST - The Large Synoptic Survey Telescope
- Euclid - Space Mission; ESA's Cosmic Vision
- Selected Reviews and Semi Popular Articles
- "The Dark Energy Survey: The Story of a Cosmological Experiment" Edited by Lahav, O., Calder, L., Mayers, J. & Frieman, J., World Scientific (2020)
- "The Cosmological Parameters 2019" Lahav, O. & Liddle, A.R. (2019) - Invited review, in "The Review of Particle Physics" (Particle Data Group)
- "A tribute to Jacob Bekenstein", Lahav, O., In the memorial volume "Jacob Bekenstein: The Conservative Revolutionary", World Scientific (2019)
- "A tribute to Donald Lynden-Bell", Lahav, O., Observatory Magazine, 138, 261 (2018)
- "The Dark Energy Survey: more than Dark Energy - an overview" DES collaboration, MNRAS, 460, 1270 (2016)
- "Dark Energy, paradigm shifts and the role of evidence " Lahav, O. & Massimi, M., RAS A&G June 2014 issue
- "Dark Energy: how the paradigm shifted" Calder, L. & Lahav, O., Physics World, Jan 2010 issue
- "Let there be darkness, let there be light" Lahav, O., Odyssey magazine (in Hebrew), Jan 2010 issue, pg. 38
- "Dark Energy: back to Newton?" Calder, L. & Lahav,O., RAS A&G, Feb 2008 issue (revised version)
- Selected Recent Presentations
- RAS George Darwin Lecture 2020: "Darkness Visible: AI in Cosmological Experiments", delivered in October 2020 (slides available here).
- "Machine Learning in Astronomy", delivered in ‘Nails and Hammers’ at the Weizmann Institute (August 2019) and as a guest lecture at the CDT ML course (March 2020)
- Conference summary talk - Cosmic Flows 2020 (in honour of Renee Kraan-Korteweg), Stellenbosch South Africa (February 2020)
- "Wide-field optical surveys: from Dark Energy to Gravitational-Wave counterparts", Invited talk given at the Kavli Symposium, Oslo (2016)
- "Neutrino mass from cosmological surveys", Invited talk given at Neutrino 2016, London (2016)
- "Jacob Bekenstein's Universe: from Black Holes to modified theory of Gravity", Invited talk in Bekenstein's memorial meeting, the Israeli Academy, Jerusalem (2016)
- RAS Gerald Whitrow Lecture 2014, "The enigma of Dark Matter and Dark Energy: Have we been here before?", delivered at NAM in Porsmouth (2014)
- Software Packages
- Scientific Committees
- Ofer is one of the founders of the Dark Energy Survey (DES), and he co-chaired the international DES Science Committee from inception until 2016. He also participates in the next-generation surveys (DESI, Euclid, LSST). He chairs both the DES:UK and DESI:UK consortia. He served as Vice-President of the Royal Astronomical Society (2010-2012), and as a member of the STFC Science Board (2016-2019). Currently is a member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the Astro Partilce Physics European Consortium (APPEC).
- Recent Media Reports and Public Outreach
- New dark matter map reveals cosmic mystery - BBC News at Ten, BBC News at Six, BBC online, Nature, UCL Press Release (2021)
- Spotlight on... Professor Ofer Lahav - UCL News (2021)
- DES releases a catalogue of 700 million astronomical objects - UKRI website (2021)
- Telescope tracks 35 millon galaxies in Dark Energy hunt - BBC News at Ten, BBC News at Six, BBC World Service and BBC online (2019)
- Space exploration: a good investment? - TRT TV Round-Table discussion on (video, 26 min) (2019)
- Dark Matter & Dark Energy - Panel Discussion at the Edinburgh International Science Festival (video, 1 hr) (2018)
- Witches, goblins and the quest to solve the mystery of dark matter - Observer article for Dark Matter Day (2018)
- Catching the first light from a gravitational wave event (2017)
- DES accurately measures the dark universe - BBC online (2017)
- DES Scientist of the week - DES website (2017)
- The DES Movie (video, 36 min) (2016)
- 100 years of Einsten's General Relativity (animation video, 3 min) (2015)
- Science is Everything - Guardian online (video, 3 min) (2015)
- Radio 4 Today Programme (audio, from 84 min) (2013)
- The Nature of Dark Energy and Dark Matter: Are New Laws of Physics required? - Lecture at the Royal Institution (audio, 1hr 27 min) (2013)
- Interview to the Economist (video, 7 min) (2012)
Last Updated: 13-June-2022