CIfA and UAUK accreditation for UCL Institute of Archaeology undergraduate degree programmes
27 January 2020
The UCL Institute of Archaeology is pleased to announce accreditation for all our undergraduate degrees from the Chartered Institute for Archaeologists (CIfA) and Universities Archaeology UK (UAUK).
Accreditation is awarded to those degrees courses that cover a range of National Occupation Standards and provide the skills relevant to a career in the historic environment. This brings archaeology into line with sectors such as engineering, planning and architecture, where choosing an accredited degree is a well-established entry route leading to professional status.
We are pleased that the Institute of Archaeology is one of 7 universities to be included in the first cohort of archaeology departments to be awarded CIfA accreditation. At its founding in 1937 the Institute was envisaged as "a laboratory of archaeological science" to train students and develop standards for archaeological fieldwork and conservation. We remain committed to training future generations of field archaeologists and undertaking collaborative research that includes students within a wide range of field, laboratory and heritage projects. We seek to support all students in developing their career aspirations whether within or outside archaeology.
The Institute was assessed by a joint panel from CIfA and UAUK who reviewed the degree structure and content, visited our teaching facilities and a field training programme. The panel highlighted:
- The range of facilities available to students is outstanding.
- There is clearly a strong emphasis on practical teaching and students are well prepared to undertake work in the sector at graduation.
- Students are well supported in gaining relevant practical experience both in the field and in other contexts.
- Students clearly benefit from high quality pastoral support.
Undergraduate Degree programmes
- BA Archaeology
- BA Archaeology and Anthropology
- BA Archaeology with a Year Abroad (4 year)
- BA Archaeology with a Placement Year (4 year)
- BA Archaeology of Egypt and Sudan
- BA Classical Archaeology and Classical Civilisation
- BSc Archaeology
Accreditation means that students enrolled in any of the above degrees are offered membership of CIfA, which is recognised as mark of the skills required for employment in archaeology.
Amongst other benefits student members gain access to further e-learning modules and specialist professional networks and Jobs Information Service bulletins.
The Institute of Archaeology's Field Unit, Archaeology South East (ASE), is a registered organisation with CIfA. ASE has approximately 140 staff with three offices (in Essex, East Sussex and London) that provide employment opportunities for some UCL students including our BA with a year’s placement.