Psychology and Human Development
Encompassing psychological approaches to learning, development and teaching from early childhood to adulthood.
Head of Department: Professor Robert Savage
The Department of Psychology and Human Development (PHD) brings together staff with research and teaching interests that encompass psychological approaches to learning, development and teaching from early childhood to adulthood.
We are the only university department within the discipline in the UK
devoted to work in developmental psychology, particularly as regards
its application to education and other real-world settings.
- Our staff
Head of department
Professor Robert Savage
- Dr Alyssa Alcorn Research Associate
- Dr Jennifer Allen Lecturer
- Prof Felicity Armstrong Fee (PHD)
- Dr Ed Baines Senior Lecturer in Psychology of Education
- Prof Peter Blatchford Professor of Psychology and Education
- Dr Paula Bosanquet Senior Teaching Fellow
- Dr Melissa Bovis Research Assistant
- Mrs Gill Brackenbury National & International Inclusive & Special Needs Programme Coordinator
- Prof Richard Cowan Professor of Psychology of Education
- Dr Laura Crane Senior Lecturer
- Dr Dagmara Dimitriou Reader in Developmental Science
- Prof Julie Dockrell Chair in Psychology and Special Needs
- Ms Rachel Ellman
- Prof Emily Farran Professor in Psychology and Human Development
- Miss Hannah Farrell Research Assistant
- Dr Liory Fern-Pollak Senior Teaching Fellow
- Dr Roberto Filippi Senior Lecturer in Psychology and Special Educational Needs
- Prof Eirini Flouri Professor of Developmental Psychology
- Dr Marta Francesconi Research Associate
- Dr Rebecca Gordon Senior Teaching Fellow in Psychology
- Dr Amy Harrison Lecturer in Psychology
- Dr Jessica Antonia Hayton Programme Leader - Habilitation and Disabilities of Sight ( Children and Young People)
- Ms Vivian Hill Educational Psychologist
- Prof Jane Hurry Professor of Psychology of Education
- Ms Nelly Joye Research Associate (iREAD)
- Dr Maria Kambouri Senior Lecturer in Research Methods in Psychology and Education
- Miss Evi Katsapi Lecturer in Psychology and Special Education
- Ms Theodora Kokosi Research Assistant
- Ms Frances Lee Professional Educational Psychology Tutor
- Dr David Maguire British Academy Postdoctoral Fellow
- Dr Karen Majors Professional Educational Psychology Tutor
- Dr Dawn Male Senior Lecturer in the Education and Psychology of Children with SEN
- Dr Chloe Marshall Professor of Psychology, Language and Education
- Prof Jackie Masterson Chair of Psychology of Reading
- Dr Emily Midouhas Lecturer in Psychology
- Dr Julia Ouzia Senior Teaching Fellow
- Dr Steven Papachristou Research Associate
- Ms Georgia Pavlopoulou
- Prof Liz Pellicano Professorial Research Fellow
- Ms Eva Periche Tomas Research Assistant
- Dr Julie Radford Senior Lecturer
- Dr Anna Remington Senior Lecturer
- Dr Robert Savage Professor in Psychology and Human Development and Head of Department
- Dr Lysandra Sinclaire-Harding Senior Teaching Fellow
- Dr Matt Somerville Senior Teaching Fellow in Psychology of Education
- Dr Emma Sumner Lecturer in Psychology and Special Educational Needs
- Study with us
Our department runs a range of courses, including the MSc in Child Development, MSc Psychology of Education and Doctorate in Professional Educational Child and Adolescent Psychology which are British Psychological Society (BPS) accredited.
In addition the Special Educational Needs Joint Initiative for Training (SENJIT) is responsible for a wide range of outreach courses, many at Masters level, providing professional development for those involved in teaching and related work in special needs.
Our team has leading experts in psychology with particular reference to learning, development and teaching from early childhood to adulthood.
Our BPS accredited BA/BSc Psychology with Education course is a new undergraduate programme that offers students the opportunity to study at a world-leading centre for education studies and related social sciences.
Search our short courses on UCL Life Leaning
Education and psychological development
Our department provides high quality consultancy in a wide range of areas related to education and psychological development in London and surroundings, nationally and internationally in over 25 countries.
Major partners for whom the Institute provides consultancy services include schools, social services departments, hospital departments, local authorities, universities, government agencies and NGOs, Ministries of Education, professional bodies and learned societies.
See more consultancy case studies.
- School organisational contexts for learning
- Language, literacy and numeracy
- Teaching processes and pedagogy
- Learning processes
- Social and emotional competence
- Special educational needs.
Our research identity is in psychology (particularly in relation to education) and special educational needs and disabilities (SEND). Educational neuroscience is being developed within our psychology interests.
We publish and research in the following key areas:
- Psychology and typical development, focussing on classroom practices and their relationship with learning (science, maths, literacy, class size, deployment of TAs, motivation).
- Educational neuroscience.
- SEN areas of autism, emotional disorders, hearing impairment, disorders of perception, language difficulties, learning difficulties, literacy difficulties, numeracy difficulties, visual impairment and youth offending.
Doctoral students make a valued contribution in these areas.
Find more about our researchers, publications, activities, groups and themes:
Published: Sep 10, 2018 11:00:44 AM
Published: Sep 6, 2018 8:40:41 AM