Law Econ Soc News
- Dr Lianos appointed Visiting Professor at the University of Chile's Faculty of Law
- Dr Lianos speaks to All Party Parliamentary Group at the House of Lords
- Regulating Trade in Services in the EU and WTO: Trust, Distrust and Economic Integration
- PhD candidate Florence Thépot awarded research fellowship
- PhD candidate Matt Strader attended the International Graduate Legal Research Conference
- PhD candidate Matt Strader attends course in Gerzensee in Switzerland
- Dr Lianos speaks at St Petersburg International Legal Forum
- Global Limits of Competition Law
- PhD candidate Deni Mantzari attends European Consortium for Political Research (ECPR) conference
- PhD candidate Deni Mantzari invited to participate in EU Judicial Training
- Sport and Competition Law
- The CLES co-organised conference in Chicago on Brands, Competition and the Law
- Professor William S. Comanor speaks on mergers and innovation in the pharmaceutical industry
- A panel of experts from the United States and Europe explore the law and economics of resale price maintenance
- Dr Ioannis Lianos speaks at the First "Open Innovations" Forum (Moscow)
- Dr Ioannis Lianos awarded the prestigious Philip Leverhulme prize 2012
A new events program is in development. Please check back at a later date.
For more information and to view past events, please go to the events pages.
For general enquiries, please contact:
laws.research [at] ucl.ac.uk
+44 (0)20 3108 8484
For research project enquiries, please contact:
Professor Ioannis Lianos
+44 (0)20 3108 8346
i.lianos [at] ucl.ac.uk
- Global Governance of Antitrust and the Need for a BRICS Joint Research Platform in Competition Law and Policy by Ioannis Lianos
- The Interplay of Institutions. Linkages between Enacting and Implementing Competition Law in India by Amber Darr
- Public Policy Considerations in Competition Enforcement: Merger Control in South Africa by Azza A. Raslan
For more working papers, please visit the CLES Research Paper Series section on this website.
Professor William S. Comanor speaks on mergers and innovation in the pharmaceutical industry
9 January 2013
Distinguished Professor William S. Comanor from the University of California explored how the pharmaceutical industry has encountered a period of dramatic structural change.
While industry leaders explain their mergers as a response to these shocks and a partial solution to the declining productivity problem, the lecture advanced the reverse hypothesis: that instead of enhancing R&D productivity, the merger wave has jeopardized it. The speaker emphasized the uncertainties inevitably encountered in new drug discovery and development and the role of "parallel paths", i.e. the pursuit of multiple approaches to solving any given medical problem, in coping with those uncertainties. Visit the event website for more information.
Page last modified on 09 jan 13 11:15