Teaching and supervision
I teach a Translation Studies course to MA students in Comparative Literature and Translation Theory and Practice. The course covers theoretical and historical aspects of translation as well as various case studies.
Department of Dutch
My classes in the Dutch Department concern primarily the literature of the Renaissance
and Golden Age and of the modern period.
Dutch Renaissance and Golden Age Literature is a fourth-year undergraduate
course. As part of the MA in the Dutch Golden Age he also teaches a course on Language and Literature of the Dutch Golden Age aimed
at developing reading skills in seventeenth-century Dutch.
Jointly with other staff in the Departments I teach fourth-year
courses on modern Dutch and Flemish authors and on Dutch-English translation.
Supervised PhD theses:
- 'The Foundation of a Theory of Translation based on the Semiotics of C.S. Peirce'. Ubaldo Stecconi, 2006.
- 'The Phoenix from the Ashes. Orangism in Word and Image 1650-1675'. Jill Stern, 2006.
- ‘Translation and Narration. Virginia Woolf in French Translations’.
Charlotte Bosseaux, 2004.
- ‘A study of Hendrik Niclaes’ Evangelium Regni and its English
and Latin Translations’. An Vanderhelst, 2003 .
- ‘David Lodge’s Campus Novels in Spanish Translation:
Genre and Intertextuality’. Marta Guirao, 2002.
- ‘Babysitting the Reader. English-Language Fiction for Girls
in Dutch Translation 1946-1995’. Mieke Desmet, 2002.
- ‘Travelling Theory. The Translation and Reception of Literary Theories
Across Cultural and Power Differentials’. Sebnem
- ‘Poetic Appropriation: P.B. Shelley and Willem Kloos’.
Kris Steyaert, 2001.
- ‘The Alien Within: English Popular Fiction in German Translation
During the Nazi Regime’. Kate Sturge, 2000.
Current supervision (including joint supervision):
- Intertextuality in translation
- Translation and postcolonial theory
- Translating Taiwanese 'local literature' into English
- Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea in Chinese
- Joseph Conrad in Chinese
- Fiction and memory in Dutch accounts of the Indonesian war of independence