City, Essay, Film - Call for Contributions
26 February 2019
UCL Urban Laboratory and the UCL Faculty of Arts & Humanities are hosting an interdisciplinary symposium on the urban essay film, to take place during the UCL Festival of Culture on Friday 7 June 2019
Keynote speakers include Nora Alter (Temple University), editor of 'Essays on the Essay Film' (2017) and author of 'The Essay Film After Fact and Fiction' (2018), and Laura Rascaroli (University College Cork), author of 'The Personal Camera: Subjective Cinema and the Essay Film' (2009) and 'How the Essay Film Thinks' (2017).
Contributions are invited from researchers, practitioners, artists and critics from all disciplines on any theme connected with the depiction of cities in essay films, including:
- the interaction between individual consciousness and urban space
- the use of the essay film as polemic/critique and method for urban research
- documentary and subjectivity
- creation/curation of space and place
- the public and the private
- representation of urban identities
- specificities of the genre within wider filmmaking practice
- the future(s) of the urban essay film
Please send enquiries/abstracts of no more than 300 words to email@example.com by Friday 5th April 2019. Funding and travel bursaries are available on request.