Stadtklang is UCL Urban Laboratory's music night and weekend evening get-together exploring urban sound, hosted in collaboration with Department of Visual Cultures at Goldsmiths, University of London
Since the first event in March 2013, we have explored the sounds of the city within the relaxing surroundings of the Arcola Theatre Bar. Evenings include a mix of music, audio essays and discussion from invited guests.
In the past we have collaborated with artists, such as BJ Nilsen and Rinse FM DJs Dusk and Blackdown, academics including Matthew Gandy, and writers including Mark Fisher, along with our house DJ Louis Digital.
- 24 March 2013 - Stadtklang Vol 1 with Dusk & Blackdown
- 21 July 2013 - Stadtklang Vol 2 with Paul Purgas and Douglas Murphy
- 14 September 2014 - Stadtklang Vol 3: The Acoustic City
- 8 November 2015 - Stadtklang Vol 4: London Dreaming with Mark Fisher
- 20 March 2016 - Stadtklang Vol 5: Sonic Utopias (at Somerset House)
- 7 May 2017 - Stadtklang Vol 6: Savage Messiah with Laura Oldfield Ford
- 7 October 2017 - Stadtklang Vol 7: Sounds of Urgent Utopia (at The Africa Centre)
- 7 October 2018 - Stadtklang Vol 8: Inner City Pressure
- 17 November 2019 - Stadtklang Vol 9: Ensemble Work
- Matthew Gandy on 'The Acoustic City'
- Nina Power on soft coercion, the city and the female voice
- Andrew Harris on margin's music and London's edgelands
- Pump up the Volume: Sounds and Music of Vertical Urbanism
- Dexxual Harrisment mix - corner at the edge of a map
- Louis Digital Detroit Mix - recorded live at Seismic @ Club 69, Paisley, Scotland - July 2005
Image: Stadtklang: Sonic Utopias in the Utopia Treasury, Somerset House on 20 March 2016. Credit: Jacob Fairless Nicholson