UCL Department of Science and Technology Studies (STS) offers postgraduate degrees of MPhil and PHD, in the subjects areas of History and Philosophy of Science and Science and Technology Studies.
UCL Science & Technology Studies is a world leading department covering history, philosophy and social studies of science, science communication and public engagement with science. The department has grown rapidly over the last decade in staff and in its community of postgraduate researchers. Currently, the department hosts 30 doctoral research projects across a variety of fields in history, philosophy and sociology of science, and often at the cross section of these disciplines.
The doctoral program is a vibrant community that regularly meets in reading groups, a work in progress seminar series, and many other occasional initiatives. Students are able to take advantage of networking opportunities with prominent London museums, academies and research institutions. PhD graduates at UCL-STS have continued to successful academic careers in the UK and overseas, while others have taken up careers in policy, business and cultural institutions championing science communication and engagement.
• History of science: history of physics, of biology, of chemistry and of astronomy
• Philosophy of science: philosophy of physics, chemistry, medicine, and social science
• Science and the media: science communication and scientists’ use of the media; public understanding of science; science and journalism
• Public engagement with science
• Sociology of science and science policy: policies for biotechnology and genetics; emerging technologies; political economy of science; 20th-century evolutionary studies; ethics and integrity in scientific research.
To discover more about the research profile of the department and our ongoing projects, visit our research clusters:
History of Science, and
Applications to the postgraduate research programs have two deadlines:1. Deadline 1: Monday 4 January 2021. For applicants who intend to apply for either UCL or Research Council funding. Only applications received by this date will be considered for funding. All applications received prior to this date will not have a decision made until this time.
2. Deadline 2: MONDAY 10 MAY 2021. Final deadline for September 2021 entry. All applications received after 4 January will be processed in May.