Romania has been a member of the European Union since 1 January 2007. A brief overview of the country’s political system, trade and economy and Romania as an EU member state can be viewed on the official website of the European Union. According to the Office for National Statistics, there were 370.000 Romanians living in the United Kingdom in 2020.
UK migration statistics and datasets
- Romanians in Great Britain (data provided by Office for National Statistics)
- Office for National Statistics: Population of the UK by country of birth and nationality: individual country data
- UK Prison Population Statistics: House of Commons Library Briefing paper
- Migration Watch UK: Population by Country of Birth
- Romanians and Bulgarians coming to the UK in 2014: influx or exaggeration? - The Migration Observatory at the University of Oxford publication, 30 December 2014
- Academic research, publications and projects
- Howley, G. (2015) The acquisition of Manchester dialect variants by adolescent Roma migrants. University of Salford.
- Humphris, R. G. (2016) New migrants' home encounters: An ethnography of 'Romanian Roma' and the local state in Luton. Oxford University.
- Lennon, H. (2018) A UK discourse analysis of belonging in Romanian identity and immigratory accounts. Sheffield Hallam University.
- Morosanu, L. (2011) Migrant social networks and the contingent role of ethnicity. University of Bristol.
- Panţîru, M. (2011) An integrated strings model of transnational advocacy: case studies from Romania and the United Kingdom. University of Sussex.
- Paraschivescu, C. (2016) Aspirations of belonging. A study of Romanians in London and Paris. University of Leeds.
- Tohani, M. (2017) Being Roma in Belfast: challenges, experiences and exclusion. Queen's University Belfast.
- Torre, A. R. (2013) Migrant lives. A comparative study of work, family and belonging among low-wage Romanian migrant workers in Rome and London. The London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE).
- Briggs, D. and Dobre, D. (2014) Culture and Immigration in Context: An Ethnography of Romanian Workers in London. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan. SSEES Collection Rou.IV BRI
- Csedő, K. (2008) Negotiating Skills in the Global City: Hungarian and Romanian Professionals and Graduates in London, Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, 34(5), pp. 803-23.
- Dömșödi, D. (2017) Populist Hysteria and Eastern European Economic Migration. The Impact of Romanian Migration on the UK Labor Market, Studia Universitatis Babes-Bolyai Sociologia, 62,(3), pp. 55-80.
- Fic, Tatiana. (2013) Migration from Bulgaria and Romania to the UK, National Institute Economic Review, Vol. 224(1), pp. F4-F7.
- Jackowska, M., Von Wagner, C., Wardle, J., Juszczyk, D., Luszczynska, A., and Waller, J. Cervical Screening among Migrant Women: A Qualitative Study of Polish, Slovak and Romanian Women in London, UK, Journal of Family Planning and Reproductive Health Care, 38(4), pp. 229-238.
- Stevens, D. (2003) The Migration of the Romanian Roma to the UK: A Contextual Study, European Journal of Migration and Law, 5(4), pp. 439-61.
- Yang, J. (2014) Citizenship, Migration, and the Nation-State: Exploring UK Policy Responses to Romanian and Bulgarian Migration, Polish Political Science Yearbook, 43(1), pp. 64-83.
- Zanca, R. and Misca, G. (2016) Filling the Gap? Romanian Social Workers' 'Migration' Into the UK, Revista de Asistenta Sociala, 1, pp. 41-47.
- The Romanian Wave - a BBC 4 program about Romanian migration to the UK.
- Romanians in the UK: Bad timing - a documentary on Romanians in the UK by Romanian journalists. Language: Romanian with English subtitles.
Access requires a subscription to Box of Broadcast (BoB):
- Media outlets and internet portals in the UK
- Club Casa Românilor, Preston
- Diaspora Românească
- InterNations Romanians in the United Kingdom
- LSRS UK – Romanian League of Students, UK
- myRO – Diaspora App
- My Romania Community
- Radio RO UK
- Român în UK
- Români în UK
- Romani Online UK
- Romanian Medical Society UK (SMR-UK)
- Romanian Society - East Midlands
- Romanian Social Club - Canterbury (Kent)
- Vatra Românească Association
- Ziarul Românesc Weekly
- BÉZNĂ British-Romanian activist intersectional theatre collective dedicated to challenging inequality
- British Romanian Chamber of Commerce
- FEAST - Festival of The East! Romanian Music Festival
- The Ratiu Family Charitable Foundation promotes and supports projects which further education and research in the culture and history of Romania, both in Romania and the UK.
- RoFilmFest – Romanian Film Festival in London
- Romanian Cultural Centre London
- Romanian Cultural Institute works as a diplomatic mission, cultural management unit, artistic and PR agency and as a centre for research and documentation
- The Romanian Library in London