Book a place
This one-day course for dental therapists and hygienists aims to upskill you so that you can confidently prescribe radiographs as an extended duty.
It's been designed to:
- meet the criteria for extended duties in prescribing as outlined by the General Dental Council (GDC)
- refresh your knowledge of current legislation and training requirements involved with dental radiography
- meet the GDC requirements on dental radiography
- remind you of the importance of justification, limitation and optimisation when using ionising radiation
The course is run by the UCL Eastman Dental Institute in London which has a broad range of continuing professional development (CPD) short courses. These provide hands-on training from experienced staff in dedicated facilities.
Course content and learning outcomes
During the day we'll look at:
- current best practice in radiation protection
- selecting appropriate radiographic views for specific situations
- the requirements for prescription
- justification and recording findings within scope of practice
By the end of the day, you should:
- have greater confidence and competency in the use of radiographs in a clinical session
- be competent and confident in prescribing radiographs in appropriate circumstances
- be better able to meet the criteria for the safe use of ionising radiation
- be better able to interpret radiographs
Who this course is for
You'll need to be a current dental therapist or hygienist to attend this course.
After the course - portfolio of cases
Following the one-day course you'll be required to complete a portfolio of ten case studies in the following six months. This must include a reflective account.
CPD points and certificate
You'll earn 6 hours verifiable CPD and a certificate of attendance on successful completion and assessment.
The price is £170.
All Eastman teachers are experienced professionals. You'll be asked to submit written feedback via a questionnaire at the end of the course, which is used to monitor the course's quality of teaching and value for money.
Please read the Eastman's refunds policy before booking.
Otto qualified with a BDS from the University of the Witwatersrand (South Africa) in 1978. He completed his MSc (Enamel and Dentine bonding agents) in 1989 (from the University of the Witwatersrand). He has publications in internationally recognised journals and he has presented papers at local and international conferences including a paper at the FDI conference in Hong Kong on Medical Hypnotherapy. In 2014 he presented a paper on Local anaesthetic training at the International Conference for Dental Hygiene in Cape Town.
Otto worked in his own dental practices in Johannesburg and East London (South Africa) where he was also actively involved in South African Dental Association. He moved to the UK in April 2002 where he worked in various UK dental practices and continued his involvement in professional organisations, including the British Dental Association.
Since 2009 Otto has been employed as a Dentist Tutor at the University of Portsmouth Dental Academy and as an Associated Dental Tutor, King’s College Dental Institute. He is a clinical tutor for Dental Hygiene/Therapy students and final year Dental students. He lectures in Radiography, Dental Photography, Dental Materials, Professionalism and Clinical practice. He has a particular interest in Minimal Intervention Dentistry. He has completed his Post Graduate Certificate in Higher Education and is now a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA). Most recently Otto has started a Prof Doc in Medical Imaging in the Department of Radiology University of Portsmouth.
Book a place
Course information last modified: 7 Aug 2019, 14:54