UCL's Excellence Fellowship Programme seeks to recruit the highest calibre early career researchers, supporting them to establish their independent career & become the research leaders of the future.
Excellence Fellows can be from clinical and non-clinical backgrounds, and work across the full range of discipines in life and medical sciences, including clinical, applied and population health science.
Fellows are provided with a competitive salary and research expenses for three years. During the tenure of the award, Fellows are supported to obtain a competitive external fellowship or major personal award that will allow them to establish their independent research career.
|Career stage:||Transition to establishing independence|
|Type of research:||Non-clinical, clinical and across a range of disciplines in life and medical sciences, including applied and population health research|
|Duration:||3 years (can be held on a part-time basis)|
|Call open to:||Internal (UCL) and external (non-UCL) applicants. All applicants must secure a sponsor prior to application|
Candidates are expected to have:
- An exceptional track record in their research field, with a growing reputation for the quality of their research
- Not yet have established an independent career or led a research group
- Have their own original and ambitious research vision.
Fellows are expected to:
- Carry out innovative and visionary research
- Within the first two years, apply for external funding (e.g. fellowship) to enable them to establish an independent research career (e.g., Wellcome Sir Henry Dale, MRC Career Development Award etc.).
- Must be a senior academic (e.g. Group Leader, Head of Research Department, or Division/Institute Director) in the School of Life and Medical Sciences (SLMS) to sponsor their application
- A letter of support must be provided detailing the space, support, and facilities that will be provided to the applicant to establish and pursue their independent research agenda.
What is offered
Salary and £50,000 research expenses. Salary will be offered at Grade 8 (Clinical or Non-Clinical salary scales); no consultant salaries can be offered.
How to apply
Applications are through the UCL recruitment system (ROME). For further information on the application process, please see our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for applicants and How to Apply pages. E-mail applications will not be accepted.