This programme will allow students to develop advanced knowledge of the eye, eye diseases and treatment and the research underpinning clinical practice. Some of the ophthalmologists, researchers and nurses who are at the forefront of ophthalmic research clinical practice at the Institute of Ophthalmology and Moorfields Eye hospital Trust – both world leading institutions will be involved in the teaching.
Modes and duration
Tuition fees (2019/20)
Note on fees: The tuition fees shown are for the year indicated above. Fees for subsequent years may increase or otherwise vary. Further information on fee status, fee increases and the fee schedule can be viewed on the UCL Students website.
A minimum of a second-class Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline from a UK university or an overseas qualification of an equivalent standard. Candidates will need to have a professional healthcare qualification (in nursing or an allied healthcare profession). Students are also required to have at least one year’s ophthalmic experience and to be currently working in the field of ophthalmology.
English language requirements
If your education has not been conducted in the English language, you will be expected to demonstrate evidence of an adequate level of English proficiency.
The English language level for this programme is: Standard
Further information can be found on our English language requirements page.
Country-specific information, including details of when UCL representatives are visiting your part of the world, can be obtained from the International Students website.
International applicants can find out the equivalent qualification for their country by selecting from the list below.
Select your country:
About this degree
By the end of the programme, students should have acquired advanced knowledge about common eye disease and some specialities, and be more confident in their clinical practice underpinned by a knowledge of the relevant current ophthalmic research. Students will also acquire skills in academic writing, problem- based learning and group work, independent research and analytical skills.
Students undertake modules to the value of 180 credits.
The programme consists of 6 compulsory modules (total 150 credits) to include the dissertation (60 credits).
- Anatomy and physiology
- Research and statistics
- Ophthalmic clinical case studies
- Clinical care in practice work-based portfolio
- Physical assessment of the ophthalmic patient
- Adnexal and orbital disease
- Glaucoma level 1
- Cornea, cataract, external diseases and refractive surgery
- Medical retina, vitreoretinal, systemic disease, uveitis and ocular oncology
Students will undertake a dissertation and would either develop their research proposal idea from modules taken or undertake a new proposal relevant to their ophthalmic interest. Students will be supervised on an individual basis by an academic member of staff to support students in this module.
Teaching and learning
The course has been designed with the working professional in mind, so you can study when it is convenient as 75% of the course is delivered online with the remaining 25% of the course being delivered face-to-face.
Scholarships relevant to this department are displayed below.
- Deadline is 31 August 2019
- £2,500 towards fees (1 year)
- UK, EU, Overseas
- Based on academic merit
For a comprehensive list of the funding opportunities available at UCL, including funding relevant to your nationality, please visit the Scholarships and Funding website.
Undertaking an MSc in Clinical Ophthalmic Practice is now considered a prerequisite for any specialist Ophthalmic nursing roles and can lead to opportunities to progress into advanced ophthalmic practice roles and Nurse consultant roles.
The programme is designed to help graduates acquire and apply knowledge and skills resulting from evidence-based research required for clinical practice.
Why study this degree at UCL?
This programme will give students the underpinning research and evidence-based knowledge to develop their clinical knowledge base.
This programme is delivered using a blended learning approach. Students will have access to face-to-face classroom teaching and virtual learning, both individualy as well as through collaborative and cooperative learning approaches, to help students acquire the academic knowledge and skills required for evidence-based practice.
Department: Institute of Ophthalmology
Application and next steps
Students are advised to apply as early as possible due to competition for places. Those applying for scholarship funding (particularly overseas applicants) should take note of application deadlines.