Outstanding science, strong industrial engagement, and tangible impact are all hallmarks of our PhD programme and of our research culture.
PhD programme overview
- A PhD/MPhil programme is normally three years full time, plus up to one year for writing.
- Part-time registration over a longer period is also possible.
- You are expected to produce a significant contribution to the development and understanding of a specific field within mechanical engineering.
- Skills training will be included during the period of research
- PhD students leaving the department are in great demand by industry.
Research areas at UCL Mechanical Engineering
There are over 140 graduate students and research assistants engaged in research leading to the MPhil/PhD degrees at UCL Mechanical Engineering
Our wide-ranging research is grouped into four main areas.
Supervisors and collaborators
Our people page allows you to easily find academic researchers working in areas in which you might want to do further study. There, you will also find our research students and what they are working on.
Current funded PhD opportunities
Our vacancies and studentships page lists current funded PhD studentship opportunities at UCL Mechanical Engineering.
Our scholarships page outlines UCL's scholarships for outstanding scholars to undertake doctoral research in mechanical engineering at UCL.