The Library provides specialist collections and services for staff and students of the UCL Institute of Orthopaedics and NHS staff at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital.
The information below shows services available during normal opening.
- Address: Sir Herbert Seddon Teaching Centre, Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, Brockley Hill, Stanmore, HA7 4LP
- Email: email@example.com
- Tel: 020 8909 5351
- Tel: 020 8909 5816
- Twitter: @ortho_lib
- Nearest tube: Stanmore (30 minute walk uphill, courtesy vehicle or taxi journey), Edgware (bus 107 from bay F to hospital gates)
- Map of the area and details of the courtesy vehicle
- Nearest Train: Elstree and Borehamwood Thameslink (bus 107 from to hospital gates)
- Opening hours
The Library is located on the first floor of the Sir Herbert Seddon Teaching Centre, on the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital site in Stanmore. To locate the teaching centre building take the second turning on the left from the main gate.
The Library is on the first floor of the building and is accessible via a permanent ramp. We also offer a range of other facilities for users with disabilities which are listed separately on the UCL Library Services site.
The Institute of Orthopaedics Library houses collections relating to the following subject areas:
- Musculoskeletal Sciences
- Clinical Orthopaedics
- Biomedical Engineering
Books & Borrowing
Our collection consists of around 2,000 books and numerous e-books available through UCL Explore. Library staff are always available if you need help with this. Most books are now available on four week loan. You can renew or reserve your books online via your library account in Explore or by calling us on 020 89095351.
Most Journal titles are now only available electronically. Print journals are reference only. Search Explore, the Library catalogue, for details of our journal holdings.
Electronic Journals and Databases
UCL staff and students can access extensive UCL's electronic resources via the UCL Library Services Homepage. NHS staff can access most UCL e-journals on Explore terminals, with the capability to save articles to a USB stick. NHS staff can also access NHS e-resources at NICE Evidence Search, with an Open Athens account. You can self-register for an Open Athens on the NICE Evidence Search website if you are using a NHS networked computer or contact library staff for assistance.
IT & Audiovisual Services
- UCL: printing, scanning, photocopying via the print @ UCL
- RNOH: printing, scanning, photocopying via Follow me Services
- IT-Library Training Suite: 9 UCL & RNOH computers & two large display screens
- OrthoPOD: a new group study space for up to 4 people. Book the OrthoPOD Space via: firstname.lastname@example.org or call at 02089095351
There are 7 Desktop@UCL and 6 RNOH computers available in the library.
There are also:
- Three Explore Access Point computers (for all users)
- UCL Wireless network Eduroam
- RNOH WiFi
- MFD machines (printing, scanning, photocopying).
Information Skills Training
Library staff are always available to help you with any aspect of using the library, including library catalogue and electronic resources. If you would like further training, you are welcome to book an individual training session with us. These sessions are particularly useful for learning how to make better use of databases. To book, please ask at the issue desk or telephone us on 020 89095351 or email us.
Inter Library Loans
NHS staff, UCL staff and students can apply for items and articles not available at Orthopaedics library by filling an online Interlibrary loan form.