Purchasing and requesting software
- Purchasing software for departmental (Desktop @ UCL and standalone) machines
In the first instance search the Software Database to see if the software you need is available centrally.
If the software is available (for Desktop@UCL for staff or staff standalone machines) see the Licenses and Downloads sections for details on how to add the software to your machine.
If a purchase or request is required, see the Licenses section for instructions on how to complete a purchase/request. In some instances, you may be required to complete a request using the Software Hub (you will need to be connected to UCL's VPN to access this service).
If the software you need is not available on the Software Database or Software Hub, please see Purchasing non-standard software for departmental (Desktop @ UCL and standalone) machines below.
- Purchasing non-standard software for departmental (Desktop @ UCL and standalone) machines
If the software you need is not available from the UCL Software Database you can request a quote for purchase. Fill in and submit the Non-standard software purchasing request form.
- Purchasing Apple/iTunes apps
Please note: If you wish to buy an app through iTunes, UCL does not allow you to purchase the application yourself and claim money back via iExpenses.
To purchase an app through iTunes you must:
- Confirm the cost of the application with the ISD IT Supplier and Asset Management team
- Send an IDT (including the Apple ID you want the app to be associated with) to the ISD IT Supplier and Asset Management team
- We will purchase the app and gift it to the Apple ID you have specified
- ISD IT Supplier and Asset Management will send you an email to confirm this has been completed
- Requesting software installation for Desktop @ UCL (where you have a licence or the application doesn’t need a licence)
- Request new software for teaching devices
Before completing a request for new software we encourage staff to verify the software is unavailable on the machines at the specific teaching location.
Current timelines for requesting teaching applications (subject to change each academic year):
- January-May: for teaching applications required for the next academic year Term 1 (September same year)
- January-August: for teaching applications required for next academic Term 2 (January next year) and Term 3 (April next year)
To request new software for teaching devices you must: