How to access RDS data from UCL's research computing platforms
This guide is for users of the Research Data Storage Service who would like to transfer data from RDS onto UCL's research computing platforms; e.g. Legion, Myriad or Grace.
The instructions given here are applicable to Legion, Grace and Myriad.
This guide is aimed at...
Before you start...
You will need accounts on one of the UCL research computing platforms and RDS.
If you’re using the block storage (GPFS), you can ssh into RDS from a computing cluster's login node by typing:
or use scp from a login node to copy a file or directory to your current directory on the cluster:
scp –r ssh.rd.ucl.ac.uk:/rd/live/<path to dir> .
Your user name shouldn’t be needed as both RDS and the computing platforms use the same system for user accounts.
If you’re using the iRODS storage on RDS, the iCommands are installed on all clusters.
1. You must first load the icommands module to be able to use them:
module add icommands
2. A file ~/.irods/irods_environment.json should be auto-generated for you when you first run the module command. If not, you may need to create or modify it yourself.
3. Type iinit to start your irods session.
Related guides & other info
- How to mount the RDS Service on Windows
- How to mount the RDS Service on Mac OS
- How to mount the RDS Service on Linux
- How to access the RDS Service through iRODS
- How to access the RDS Service using WinSCP
- How to access the RDS Service using Fetch
- How to access RDS from outside UCL
- RDS: How to control access for different members of a project
- How to check your usage and quota on RDS
Help & Support
For further help and assistance you can contact firstname.lastname@example.org