Filestore@UCL: Adding a Shared (S:) drive to a Windows machine
Guidance on how to add a shared UCL drive to a Windows 7, 8 or 10 machine so that you can access group folders.
This guide is aimed at...
Before you start...
- Your device needs to be either a Windows 8 or 10 machine
- A computer connected to the UCL network either onsite or via the UCL VPN remote access service if you are offsite
- You need to know your 7 character UCL user ID and password
- Right-click on the Start menu (Windows logo, located on the bottom left of your desktop), and select File Explorer (Fig.1)
Fig.1 – Menu after right-clicking the Start button (Windows logo)
- Right-click on the Network icon on the left, and select Map network drive… (Fig.2)
Fig.2 – Menu after right-clicking the Network icon
- Enter the following details on the Map Network Drive window (Fig.3)
Drive: Select S: from the drop down menu
Folder: Type \\ad.ucl.ac.uk\groupfolders
Fig. 3 – Map Network Drive window
- Click Finish
- You will then be prompted to enter your network credentials (Fig.4). Enter the following details:
User name: AD\your userID e.g. AD\uczzrt0
Password: enter your UCL password
Fig.4 – Enter network credentials window with User name and Password fields
- If you don't want to re-enter this information each time you access the drive then tick the Remember my credentials box.
- Click OK. Your UCL Shared drive should now be available on Windows File Explorer or My Computer screen with the drive letter you specified.
Related guides & other info
- Adding your Home (N:) drive to a Windows machine
- View or restore a previous version of a file or folder in Windows 10 or Desktop @ UCL
- Restore a deleted file or folder in Windows 10 or Desktop @ UCL
- Check your remaining storage space (quota) in Windows 10 or Desktop @ UCL
Help & Support
For further help and assistance you will need to contact the IT Services.