Connecting to eduroam Wi-Fi with Android
This guide explains how to connect to the eduroam Wi-Fi service for UCL staff & students using an Android device.
This guide is aimed at...
- IT Administrators
- SLMS staff
Before you start...
- You must be aware of and abide by the UCL Computing Regulations
- You must be aware of and abide by the JANET Acceptable Use Policy
- You need your UCL user ID & password – found on the front of your registration slip and must be appended with @ucl.ac.uk for connecting to eduroam (e.g. ucxxzano @ ucl.ac.uk)
- A phone or tablet running Google Android 7 (Nougat) and above
The simplest and securest way to connect to eduroam is by using the eduroam Configuration Assistant Tool.
Please see Connecting to eduroam using eduroam CAT (Configuration Assistant Tool) for instructions.
Please note: Android devices vary and the process may look slightly different on your device.
- From the home screen go to the Apps menu (Fig.1)
Fig.1 - Apps menu icon
- Find and tap on Settings (Fig.2) – you may have to swipe several screens to the right to find it
Fig.2 - Settings icon
- In the Wireless & Networks section (Fig.3) select Wi-Fi
Fig.3 - Wi-Fi icon
- The Wi-Fi screen will open and display a list of available networks (Fig.4) Select eduroam
Fig.4 - eduroam icon
- You will be prompted to sign in to the wireless network. Enter the following details in the settings menu (Fig.5):
EAP method: PEAP
Phase-2 authentication: MSCHAPV2
CA certificate: Use system certificates (if this option is not available, please try Method 1 or contact IT Services)
Identity: Your UCL user ID appended with @ucl.ac.uk for connecting to eduroam (e.g. ucxxzano @ ucl.ac.uk)
Anonymous identity: anonymous @ ucl.ac.uk
Password: your UCL password
Fig.5 - eduroam network settings
- You should now be connected to the eduroam network (Fig.6)
Fig.6 - eduroam connected in networks list
- Press the Home key underneath the screen to exit Settings and return the main screen
For further instructions please see Wi-Fi troubleshooting & known issues.
Help & Support
For further help and assistance you will need to contact the IT Services.