The LWENC CRF is a purpose built unit located on the Ground Floor of the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery , the UK's largest dedicated neurological and neurosurgical hospital, and a specialist hospital of UCLH. The CRF provides researchers with the clinical infrastructure necessary to conduct high-quality research funded or Sponsored by industry or academia. Our opening hours are 8am to 5pm Monday to Friday and we have the capacity to accommodate overnight studies including weekends where necessary. All of our clinical areas and equipment comply with UCLH standards as we are embedded within the Trust, thus contributing to the highest level of patient care and safety.
Our experienced core CRF team can provide clinical, regulatory and operational support depending on your requirements and can guide through any necessary organisational processes.
Inpatient facilities/side rooms
The LWENC CRF has three light and spacious side bedrooms. These rooms are suitable for in-patient admission and offer the following:
- Study visits requiring privacy or isolation, e.g. lumbar puncture/CSF sampling, cognitive assessments, overnight visits for interventional treatment
- Wheelchair compatible en suite shower and toilet
- Switchable LCD privacy glass doors
- Bedside monitoring equipment linked to the central nursing station
- Wall-mounted TV for patient use
Each side room is equipped with emergency call buttons, piped oxygen and suction. iPads and laptops are also available for long-stay participant use within the clinical areas, and overnight visits are staffed by qualified registered nurses.
In addition to our three bedrooms, the CRF has an infusion suite and a consulting room, designed to provide maximum comfort as well as meet important safety requirements.
These offer the following:
- Our consulting room can be used for various assessments including the consent process, pre-screening discussions with potential study participants, physical examination, cognitive and neuromuscular tests. This room is equipped with an ophthalmoscope and otoscope
- The patient infusion suite contains three cushioned reclinable chairs suitable for the delivery of infusions
- Close monitoring of study participants is enabled due to the close proximity of the nursing station which is located opposite this suite
Clean utility/Treatment room
The treatment room is suitable for the storage and preparation of sterile and non-sterile pharmaceuticals.