Reports and related documents from the Understanding Participation rates in post-16 Mathematics And Physics (UPMAP) project.
- Mujtaba, T. & Reiss, M. J. (in press) 'I fall asleep in class … but physics is fascinating'; the use of large-scale longitudinal data to explore the educational experiences of aspiring girls in mathematics and physics. Canadian Journal of Science, Mathematics and Technology Education. DOI: 10.1080/14926156.2016.1235743
- Mujtaba, T. & Reiss, M. J. (2016) Girls in the UK have similar reasons to boys for intending to study mathematics post-16 thanks to the support and encouragement they receive. London Review of Education, 14, 66-81. DOI: 10.18546/LRE.14.2.05
- Mujtaba, T., Reiss, M. J., Rodd, M. Simon, S. (2015) Methodological issues in mathematics education research when exploring issues around participation and engagement. In: Large-Scale Studies in Mathematics Education, Middleton, J. A., Cai, J. & Hwang, S. (Eds), Springer, Dordrecht, pp. 335-362.
- Sheldrake, R., Mujtaba, T. & Reiss, M. J. (2015) Students' intentions to study non-compulsory mathematics: the importance of how good you think you are. British Educational Research Journal, 41, 462-488. DOI:10.1002/berj.3150
- Mujtaba, T., & Reiss, M. (2014). A survey of psychological, motivational, family and perceptions of physics education factors that explain 15 year-old students' aspirations to study post-compulsory physics in English schools. International Journal of Science and Mathematics Education, 12(2), 371-393. 10.1007/s10763-013-9404-1
- Sheldrake, R., Mujtaba, T., & Reiss, M. (2014). Calibration of self-evaluations of mathematical ability for students in England aged 13 and 15, and their intentions to study non-compulsory mathematics after age 16. International Journal of Educational Research, 64, 49-61. 10.1016/j.ijer.2013.10.008
- Rodd, M., Mujtaba, T., & Reiss, M. (2014). Qualified, but not choosing STEM at university: unconscious influences on choice of study. Canadian Journal of Science, Mathematics and Technology Education, 14(4), 330-345.
- Mujtaba, T., & Reiss, M. J. (2013). What sort of girl wants to study physics after the age of 16?: Findings from a large-scale UK survey. International Journal of Science Education, 35(17), 2979-2998. 10.1080/09500693.2012.681076
- Mujtaba, T., & Reiss, M. (2013). Inequality in experiences of physics education: Secondary school girls' and boys' perceptions of their physics education and intentions to continue with physics after the age of sixteen. International Journal of Science Education, 35(11), 1824-1845. 10.1080/09500693.2012.762699
- Rodd, M., Reiss, M., & Mujtaba, T. (2013). Undergraduates talk about their choice to study physics at university: what was key to their participation? Research in Science and Technological Education, 31(2), 153-167. 10.1080/02635143.2013.811072
- Mujtaba, T., & Reiss, M. (2013). Factors that lead to the positive and negative stress in secondary school teachers of mathematics and science. Oxford Review of Education, 39(5), 627-648.
- Mujtaba, T., Reiss, M., Bruguière, C. (Ed.), Tiberghien, A. (Ed.), & Clément, P. (Ed.) (2012). Gender differences in 15 year-olds' perceptions of physics, physics lessons and physics teachers. 11(27)-11(33).
- Rodd, M. (2011). Mathematics but and yet: undergraduates narratives about decision making. In C. Smith (Ed.), Proceedings of the British Society for Research into Learning Mathematics. (1 ed., Vol. 31, pp. 132-137). British Society for Research into Learning Mathematics.
- Reiss, M., Hoyles, C., Mujtaba, T., Riazi Farzad, B., Rodd, M., Simon, S., & Stylianidou, F. (2011). Understanding participation rates in post-16 mathematics and physics: conceptualising and operationalising the UPMAP project. International Journal of Science and Mathematics Education, 9(2), 273-302. 10.1007/s10763-011-9286-z
- Rodd, M. (2011). Participation in undergraduate mathematics: choices and defences. In K. Kislenko (Ed.), Current State Of Research On Mathematical Beliefs XVI. (pp. 237-254). Tallinn, Estonia: Institute of Mathematics and Natural Sciences.
- Rodd, M., Mujtaba, T., & Reiss, M. (2010). Participation in mathematics post-18: undergraduates' stories. 175-182.
- Reiss, M. How can we get more students to study mathematics or physics? - The UPMAP Project [