Research and consultancy in the broad field of applied linguistics.
Our mission is to promote the UCL Institute of Education as a centre of international excellence in research and teaching in the broad field of applied linguistics, including:
- bilingualism and multilingualism,
- second and additional language acquisition,
- language testing,
- language pedagogies,
- multimodal communication,
- linguistic ethnography,
- discourse and interactional analysis,
- health communication,
- professional / institutional communication,
- English as a global language,
- intercultural communication,
- corpus linguistics,
- language-in-education policy and practice,
- language and identity,
- language, gender and sexuality.
Our centre aims to:
- seek external funding for high-quality research and consultancy in the broad field of applied linguistics,
- foreground the work in these areas through high status publications as well as through conferences and seminars,
- develop research networks and partnerships with research teams nationally and internationally,
- build networks of interest across UCL and develop synergies between adjacent areas and forms of research,
- liaise with other research centres across UCL which also have an interest in broadly based applied linguistics,
- provide strategic leadership, expertise and support to those working in the area of applied linguistics,
- provide research input into the teaching programmes and doctoral supervision in areas of applied linguistics.
- Our staff
Directors of Centre
- Sahra Abdullahi, Full-time Research Associate.
- Jane Allemano, Lecturer in Education and Professional Development.
- Froso Argyri, Senior Teaching Fellow and Leverhulme Research Associate.
- Alfonso Del Percio, Associate Professor of Applied Linguistics.
- Zsófia Demjén, Associate Professor of Applied Linguistics.
- Sezgi Goksan, Full-time Research Associate.
- John Gray, Professor of Applied Linguistics and Education.
- Talia Isaacs, Associate Professor of Applied Linguistics and Language Assessment.
- David Mallows, Associate Professor (Teaching).
- Jim McKinley, Associate Professor of Applied Linguistics and TESOL.
- Dina Mehmedbegovic, Lecturer in Education.
- John O’Regan, Vice Dean (International) and Professor of Critical Applied Linguistics.
- Amos Paran, Professor of TESOL.
- Ana Pellicer-Sánchez, Associate Professor of Applied Linguistics and TESOL.
- Miguel Pérez-Milans, Associate Professor of Applied Linguistics.
- Andrea Révész, Professor of Second Language Acquisition.
- Kazuya Saito, Associate Professor of Applied Linguistics and TESOL.
- Ruanni Tupas, Lecturer in Sociolinguistics.
- Li Wei, Director and Dean of the UCL Institute of Education and Professor in Applied Linguistics.
- Isabelle Coleman, Administrator for Applied Linguistics and TESOL in-service.
- Ilaria Olivieri, Assistant Administrator.
- Nick Watts, Administrator for TESOL pre-service.
Other IOE Members
- Jeff Bezemer, Professor of Learning and Communications.
- Verna Brandford, Lecturer in Education, PGCE MFL.
- Andrew Burn, Professor of Media Education.
- Katharine Carruthers, Director, Confucius Institute for Schools.
- Caroline Conlon, Lecturer in Modern Foreign Languages Education, PGCE MFL.
- Fotini Diamantidaki, Lecturer for PGCE Modern Foreign Languages, PGCE MFL.
- Myrrh Domingo, Associate Professor of Contemporary Literacies.
- Sam Duncan, Associate Professor of Adult Education and Literacies.
- Roberto Filippi, Associate Professor of Psychology and Special Educational Needs.
- Will Gibson, Reader in Social Research Methods.
- Lesley Gourlay, Professor of Education and Technology.
- Carey Jewitt, Professor of Learning and Technology.
- Claudia Lapping, Reader in Psychosocial Studies and Education.
- Shirley Lawes, Lecturer in Modern Foreign Languages.
- Chloë Marshall, Reader in Psychology and Human Development.
- Norbert Pachler, Professor of Education.
- Hugh Starkey, Emeritus Professor of Education.
- John Vorhaus, Reader in Human Rights Education, Co-Director, NRDC.
- Sue Walters, Associate Professor of Education, MTeach.
- John Yandell, Associate Professor of Education (English Studies).
- Catherine Wallace, Emerita Professor.
- Dominic Wyse, Professor of Early Childhood and Primary Education.
Study with us
- Our research
- British Academy teaching-research nexus
- British Council reading and writing in second language
- CITTI research project, analysing interactions within virtual learning environments for students of citizenship
- Cognitive benefits of language learning
- Development of a strategy for EAL in the teaching workforce
- Digital Literacies as a Postgraduate Attribute
- Examining language-related eligibility criteria in patient recruitment to randomised controlled trials
- Family Language Policy
- How tutors use masters degree studies in education to support teachers
- Investigating the predictive validity of the Duolingo English Test
- Language of voice-hearing
- Monitoring and Evaluation of the Hearing All Voices Project
- Multilingual universities
- Project for the Development of National Occupational Standards in Intercultural Working
- Social Mobile Network to enhance community building for adults informal learning
- Tasks and assessing second language writing processes and outcomes
- The complexity-accuracy-fluency triad, communicative adequacy, and revisiting the IELTS speaking band descriptors
- Translanguaging and learning
- Translanguaging in diverse contexts
- Translanguaging in the workplace
- Using computational tools to analyse the language demands of informed consent documents in health intervention research.
- UCL Research Portal, IRIS to find more about our researchers, publications, activities, groups and themes.
- Consultancy and advisory work
Partners have included:
- Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Cambridge Assessment English
- Educational Testing Service (TOEFL Commitee of Examiners).