At WEISS, engineers, clinicians and computer scientists work together to develop technologies that enable safer and more effective treatments for patients across a wide range of conditions.
We specialise in the fields of surgical and interventional sciences. This means either surgery, being operations where surgeons need to make some kind of cut, or incision to the patient, and interventions being cases where it’s able to do this without so.
We intend for these to underpin the next generation of medicine across a wide range of applications, making life changing treatments more safe and more accessible for patients.
Our Centre is based at Charles Bell House, a building that brings together researchers from departments within the Faculty of Engineering, such as The Department of Medical Physics and Biomedical Engineering, Computer Science and Mechanical Engineering, and places them alongside clinical researchers from the Faculty of Medical Sciences and divisions such as the Division of Surgery and Interventional Sciences.
This close, interdisplinary integration allows clinicians to feed in their experiences to inform the direction and design of research, creating engineering solutions with the applications firmly in mind. It helps us ensure that innovation is always directed towards patient benefit.
Danail Stoyanov: Director
Laurence Lovat: Clinical Director
Dimitris Siasakos: Deputy Clinical Director
Adrien Desjardins: Deputy Director for Industry
Hani Marcus: Deputy Director for Translation
Matt Clarkson: Deputy Director for Teaching and Learning
Evangelos Mazomenos: Deputy Director for Public Engagement
Paolo De Coppi
- Principal Research Fellow
- Senior Clinical Fellows
- Senior Research Fellows
Ester Bonmati Coll
Catarina Isabel Correia Veloso Da Veiga
- Research Fellows
Esra Aytac Kipergil
John Charles Bason Mitchell
Jeref Cendekia Merlin
Keshav Kannan Iyengar
Hoang Ha Le
- Clinical Training Fellows
Hugo Layard Horsfall
- PhD and MRes Students
Aloma Blanch Granada
Thomas De Carvalho
Chiara Di Vece
Juana Gonzalez Bueno Puyal
Keshav Kannan Iyengar
Sofia Lopes Monteiro
Rodrigo Mendez Leal
Nina Montana Brown
Fernando Perez Garcia
Carmen Salvadores Fernandez
Mona Sheikh Zeinoddin
Manuel Teixeira Cabeleira
Dhruva Tirumala Bukkapatnam
Beatrice Van Amsterdam
- Professional Services
- Robert Stafford-Williams: Temporary Laboratory Manager
- Jamahl Holland: Laboratory Technician
- Dr Su-Lin Lee: WEISS Head of Operations
- Sophie Kathirgamanathan: WEISS Clinical Trials Manager
- Cindy Leung: WEISS Administrative Assistant
- Michelle McGrath: WEISS Communications Manager
- Mailis Merisalu: WEISS Centre Administrator
- Rachael Rodell: WEISS Quality Manager
- Simon Watt: WEISS Public Engagement Manager
- Phil Wiles: WEISS Public Engagement Co-ordinator
- Clare Woolley: Executive Assistant to Director
- Punit Modi: Personal Assistant to Clinical Director and Deputies
You can also find our WEISS Research Group on IRIS.
All WEISS members can access the latest information and file downloads through the intranet, using your UCL login for access.