Here you will find more information about the aims and terms of reference of the group.
Terms of Reference
Aims of the Group
- To raise awareness of disability issues at UCL including environmental, behavioural and institutional barriers experienced by Disabled People with a range of physical, cognitive and mental health conditions and impairments.
- To represent the views of Disabled Staff and staff who are closely associated with Disabled People, and act as a body of expertise on disability issues at UCL.
- To advise management on how to promote a culture which includes Disabled People and celebrates diversity and acceptance.
- To deepen the knowledge of disability equality and inclusion issues experienced by UCL staff, encouraging understanding of the many facets of disability equality and inclusion.
- To take proactive measures to challenge and redress historic patterns of inequality faced by Disabled People with multiple protected characteristics e.g. LGBTQ+ Disabled people, older Disabled People, race etc.
- To provide opportunities for social and professional networking among group members
- To identify positive environmental, behavioural and institutional good practice to be shared, preserved, celebrated and amplified.
- To work with senior leadership in developing a suitable and accessible monitoring and evaluation framework for the university’s plans and strategies related to disability equality at UCL.
The Group will achieve these aims by:
- Involvement and consultation on the university’s plans, strategies, policies and guidance, insofar as they impact upon Disabled People
- Acting as a channel for communication with senior management on disability issues
- Analysing staff and student disability data with a view to addressing identified areas of concern
- Assisting in the coordination of events and activities which celebrate, raise awareness on disability and enables acceptance of disability diversity at UCL
- Supporting and monitoring the implementation of the Equalities and Diversity Strategy and Action Plan
- Facilitating information transparency and sharing between members
- By collaboration with the wider, online network open to all staff (Enable@UCL) as well as other equality steering groups and networks.