Deputy Director (Digital Health)
22 September 2020
We are seeking to appoint a new Deputy Director (Digital Health) for the Institute of Healthcare Engineering
About the UCL Institute of Healthcare Engineering (IHE)
The UCL Institute of Healthcare Engineering (IHE) stimulates and supports interdisciplinary, world-class research and innovation in healthcare engineering and digital health. We bring together leading researchers across UCL and our partner hospitals to develop the next generation of digital and medical technologies.
The IHE is a cross-faculty UCL Institute, led from the Faculty of Engineering Sciences. We have excellent links with our clinical partners in primary and secondary care, for example through the UCL-affiliated Biomedical Research Centres at UCLH, Moorfields and Great Ormond Street Hospital. The IHE consists of a 4-strong Directorate, Professional Services team, Management and Advisory Boards, and themed Delivery Groups (Careers, Education, Engagement, Global, Research Infrastructure, Translational & Industry). The Directorate comprises a Director and three Deputies, with combined expertise spanning clinical, translational, digital health and physical engineering aspects. Our research priority areas are Self, Shared, Primary and Community Care; Timely Detection, Diagnostics and Intervention; Healthy Ageing and Multimorbidity Through the Lifecourse; Effective and Cost-Effective Healthcare Technologies.
The diversity and volume of world-class research and innovation at the intersection of engineering and healthcare at UCL is staggering. Our unique position at the interdisciplinary centre of this allows us to build partnerships and collaborations across the university and beyond.
We are looking to appoint an individual who is excited by the opportunity to work creatively with a dynamic and collaborative team, and to support and grow digital health activity spanning research, education and knowledge exchange at UCL. The candidate should be passionate about, and experienced in, interdisciplinary working. They should have an excellent understanding of the digital health landscape at UCL, and strong connections across the University.
The Deputy Director (Digital Health) role involves:
- Working closely with the Director (Becky Shipley) and other two Deputy Directors (Geoff Parker / Translation & Industry, Elizabeth Murray / Clinical) to develop and oversee delivery of, the IHE strategy
- Working with the IHE Management Board and PS teams to support operational running of the IHE
- Oversight of, and input into, IHE activities including through the 6 Delivery Groups
- Engaging with external and internal stakeholders to develop new collaborative links and opportunities
- Acting as an ambassador for the IHE internally and externally to UCL
- Contributing to bids for funding to advance the objectives of the IHE
- Representing the IHE at meetings, events and committees, both internally and externally to UCL
- Contribute to capacity building and interdisciplinary working in healthcare engineering at UCL and more widely.
The role commitment equates to around 1 day per week on average, although is flexible. This is a 3-year appointment, renewable for one extra term. The candidate should:
- Be an academic member of staff with their primary UCL appointment in the Faculty of Engineering Sciences at the Associate Professor or Professor level
- Consult with their Head of Department in advance of applying
- Have a track record of collaborative, team working and nurturing both people and activities that lie outside their immediate research programme
- Be passionate about advancing the field of digital health within and beyond UCL
To apply, please email a CV and cover letter to Izzie Harvey (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 20th October 2020.