Access to CPRD data for public health research is subject to study-specific research data governance (RDG) approval from CPRD. For more information on CPRD’s research data governance (RDG) approvals process, please refer to Research applications | CPRD. For more general information on CPRD’s data protection and processing notice, please refer to Data protection and processing notice | CPRD.
50M people, 500M person years follow-up
Our main data provider is the Clinical Practice Research Datalink (CPRD), which collects data of primary care activity and links to secondary care (Hospital Episode Statistics inpatient, outpatient, A&E and diagnostic imaging dataset data) and national registry social deprivation and mortality data from the Office for National Statistics are available for research:
- General practice, hospital inpatient, outpatient and A&E data and mortality data up to March 2016
- Diagnoses of all diseases including rare Mendelian and syndromes
- Clinical examination findings (e.g. blood pressure, weight, height)
- Blood laboratory results
- Prescriptions and vaccinations
- Primary care consultations and hospitalisations
- Cause of death
Methods and Tools
- Structured approach to develop and validate phenotyping algorithms
- Central online repository for the storage and distribution of algorithms, documentation and metadata
- ISO27001 compliant data safe haven environment
- High performance computing platforms to support computationally intensive research
Training and Support
- Specialist training to equip researchers with the skills and knowledge to code and analyse large, linked datasets
- Data safe haven and information governance
CALIBER operates a collaboration-driven data sharing platform and prioritises collaborations based on scientific-added value, capacity development and sustainable funding. Access to CPRD data on the CALIBER platform to facilitate collaboration with academic, National Health Service and commercial partners follows CPRD’s data access governance policies. The CALIBER platform can support researchers from development of research proposals through to release of CPRD data in the CALIBER data safe haven.
Details about the CALIBER platform and access to the data portal and tools
CALIBER has research ethics approval (09/H0810/16) and ECC approval (ECC 2-06(b)/2009 CALIBER dataset) and initial funding was provided by the Wellcome Trust (086091/Z/08/Z) and the National Institute for Health Research (RP-PG-0407- 10314).