Up to £17,500 is available to support a trilateral collaboration between UCL, Wits and one additional member of the African Research Universities Alliance (ARUA)
Please note this funding call closed on 31 December 2021.
UCL Global Engagement (GE) is delighted to announce an additional funding opportunity under the UCL-Wits Strategic Partner Funds.
This call will award £17,500 to a trilateral collaboration between UCL, Wits and one of the 16 members of the African Research Universities Alliance (ARUA). The call is open to all academic fields with the potential to improve engagement with partner institutions.
This call aims to strengthen the African research narrative and build pan-African connections and closer relationships with ARUA universities. Given the value of the award, successful applicants will be expected to work towards a publication as part of their project.
Applications will be evaluated on the strength of existing and/or potential relationships with ARUA partner universities. Applicants are encouraged to demonstrate how their project will evolve into a sustainable partnership.
Proposals will be assessed by a selection panel from Wits and UCL according to the following criteria:
- Clarity of project objectives, impact, and opportunities for further development and/or external funding applications. Applications where this funding would facilitate or accelerate an ongoing opportunity are welcome.
- Ability to strengthen the local research narrative and contribution towards sustainable local solutions. Applicants should demonstrate that the proposed activity is locally relevant and driven.
Examples of cost items eligible for funding (this is not an exhaustive list):
- Travel and accommodation, where permitted under current travel restrictions
- Local travel for partners
- Specific staff costs necessary to drive this project forward
- Catering, room bookings for workshops or training
- Commissioning an external speaker, expert or trainer
- Equipment cost and hire
- Costs for videographers or designers
- Software licensing (as part of the wider application)
Value and Eligibility
You may apply for funding of up to £17,500 for your activity, to be spent before 31 July 2022.
UCL academic staff with a Wits partner and one or more additional ARUA researcher are eligible to apply. Staff holding honorary positions and PhD students are not eligible but encouraged to be included in proposals.
Applications must include researchers from three universities: UCL, Wits and one additional ARUA member. Please apply through the following link:
Call for proposals: 27 October 2021
Extended deadline for applications: 31 December 2021
Communication of results to applicants: early January 2022
Start date of awards: early January 2022
Conditions of receiving the award
Successful applicants will be required to submit a short report to UCL Global Engagement (GE) within two months of completing their project and may be contacted by GE at a later date to follow up on any additional outcomes.
Successful applicants are also asked to document activity wherever possible through photos, videos and blogs so these can be shared with the UCL community and our partners.
The awarded funding must be spent by 31 July 2022.
Senior Partnership Manager (Africa and the Middle East)
Global Faculty Support Officer
Dr Mahomed Moolla
Head of Strategic Partnerships
For the latest news about UCL’s international activity, partnerships and opportunities, subscribe to the bimonthly Global Update newsletter.