Student Competition: Win a place at One Young World, Colombia
23 May 2017
Students with a commitment to effecting positive change can win a funded place at the One Young World Summit 2017 in Bogotá, Colombia.
UCL students with leadership skills and a commitment to effecting positive change can win a funded place at the One Young World Summit 2017 in Bogotá, Colombia (4 - 7 October).
What is One Young World?
One Young World is a charity that gathers together the brightest young leaders from around the world, empowering them to make lasting connections to create positive change.
At their annual summit, the most valuable young talent from global and national companies, NGOs, universities and other forward-thinking organisations are joined by inspirational leaders who act as One Young World counsellors.
Previous counsellors have included Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu, Sir Bob Geldof, Kofi Annan, Sir Richard Branson, Professor Muhammad Yunus, Jamie Oliver, Jack Dorsey and Arianna Huffington.
At the summit closing ceremony, delegates graduate as One Young World Ambassadors, joining a network of young leaders who are creating positive change around the world.
During the summit, delegates debate, formulate and share innovative solutions for pressing issues the world faces.
Afterwards Ambassadors begin work on their own initiatives, or lend the power of the One Young World network to existing ones.
More details about the One Young World Summit 2017 can be found here.
To be eligible, you must meet the following criteria:
- You must be between the ages of 18-30 at the time of the summit (4 - 7 October 2017)
- You must be a student at UCL at the time of the summit
- You must be able to travel to the summit and you must also be able to make your own travel arrangements and pay for them, including the air flights. You are also solely responsible for making any other necessary arrangements to attend.
- You must read and agree to adhere to the Terms and Conditions of the summit.
- You must have your course director’s agreement.
UCL will pay the One Young World Summit 2017 fees (£2,975) for one UCL student (aged 18-30) as a prize in our competition. (That is, UCL has already reserved a place for the winner so they would not need to apply to One Young World for one).
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE COMPETITION PRIZE DOES NOT INCLUDE THE COST OF TRAVEL (such as flights) OR ANY VISA COSTS.
The winner will also be encouraged to apply to be a Delegate Speaker at the summit via the One Young World application process (see the One Young World website for details. The deadline for this separate process is 26 July 2017).
The winner will be asked to post to social media live from the summit, as well as produce a write up for UCL Global about what they gained from their experience.
How to apply
Applicants should submit an abstract (of no more than 1500 words in total) demonstrating the following:
1. Their previous experience of leadership and commitment to effecting positive change internationally (500 words maximum).
2. How they will disseminate their experience within UCL both during and after the summit (500 words maximum).
3. How they intend to use their experience after they return (500 words maximum).
The deadline for applications is Friday 16 June 2017.
We will be looking for evidence of the following in applications:
- Commitment to delivering positive change
- Leadership capability
- Concern for local and global issues
- Ability to generate and articulate impactful ideas
- Communication skills, including use of social media and blogging.
For more information about the competition, please contact Dr Gavin Moorhead, UCL Global Engagement Office.
Additional ways to apply to attend the summit can be found on the One Young World website.