The impacts of UCL Faculty of Engineering research on the wider world have been recognised in the Research Excellence Framework 2021.
For over 190 years UCL Engineering has been at the cutting edge of the discipline, home to some of the most successful engineering departments in the UK.
Independent studies rate UCL a top university for research - engineering is no exception. Our work saves money, energy and lives, as well as adding to the body of human knowledge.
- UCL's Engineering research has been named 4th overall in the UK for the percentage of REF submissions rated 4* ("world leading")
- 97% of UCL's Engineering research assesed by REF was rated “world leading” (4*) or “internationally excellent” (3*)
- 77% of UCL's Computer Science research was rated "world leading" (4*) - the highest score within UCL
- 100% of UCL's Engineering research, Computer Science research and Social Work and Social Policy research impact case studies were rated "outstanding" (4*) or having "very considerable impact" (3*)
- For Business and Management Studies, UCL's research was rated 10th in the UK for overall research rated "world-leading"
- Since 2013, the percentage of our Engineering research rated 4* has gone up 31.72%
- UCL's Computer Science research was rated 2nd overall for research power, with Engineering research rated 5th in the UK for research power.
- 14% of UCL's research power is contributed by the Faculty of Engineering
UCL Faculty of Engineering Case Study Highlight
UCL-Ventura CPAP breathing aid: interdisciplinary working to solve a COVID-19 challenge at pace
In March 2020 the UCL-Ventura team designed and manufactured a simple, cost-effective and noninvasive breathing aid for COVID-19 patients. 10,000 devices were delivered to the Department of Health and Social Care within a month of idea conception. To date, over 130 NHS hospitals have been supplied and a further 25,000 devices manufactured for use in 25 countries worldwide.
All UCL Engineering REF 2021 Impact Case Studies