- Instructions for PhD students who would like to visit UCL for a short period of research (one term or less)
- Instructions for PhD students who would like to visit UCL for an extended period of research (one term or more)
Instructions for PhD students who would like to visit UCL for a short period of research (one term or less)
The Department of Economics at UCL is keen to host PhD students from other universities who would like to visit UCL to undertake a short period of research (i.e. less than 3 months). We are not able to accept all students who make an application to visit the Department; however we are keen to welcome visiting doctoral researchers whenever possible. To facilitate your application and ensure we can manage our resources effectively, prospective visiting research students should provide the following details to the Department by way of application:
- Proposed dates of visit.
- Reason for visit.
- UCL faculty member who would supervise during period of visiting research and details of any prior contact with this academic.
- Whether a desk space at UCL or IFS is preferred.
- Whether any funding is required.
- Letter of recommendation from their main advisor and a CV.
Due to space constraints it is not possible to extend short term visits.
These materials should be submitted to the PhD administrator, Daniella Harper, by the following times:
Proposed Term of Visit
First Term (October 1st – December 31st)
Second Term (January 1st – March 31st)
Third Term (April 1st – June 30th)
Summer Term (July 1st-September 31st)
The Graduate Tutor within the Department of Economics, Prof. Imran Rasul, is responsible for taking decisions concerning the Department’s visiting research students. Applicants will be notified shortly after the relevant submission deadline if they have been accepted to visit the Department of Economics as a visiting research student.
All students applying to visit UCL for one term under the ENTER exchange programme should also follow the above instructions.
Instructions for PhD students who would like to visit UCL for an extended period of research (one term or more)
The Department of Economics at UCL is keen to host PhD students from other universities who would like to visit UCL for an extended period of research (i.e. 3-12 months). Doctoral students studying at an external institution who wish to study with the Department for between 3-12 months should apply through the UCL Admissions Office. Prospective visiting students should comply with the UCL visiting research students regulations and complete the UCL visiting research student application process.
For information regarding how to apply you should visit the How to apply as an independent visiting research student webpage.
When you apply, you must ensure you indicate the following on page 1 of the application form:
- The proposed start and end dates of your visit, and;
- The name of the academic in the Department whom you would like to supervise your research. A list of the Department’s academic staff and their research interests can be found on our staff pages.
A hard copy of your completed application should be submitted to the Admissions Office, at the following address:
UCL Admissions Office
Registry and Student Services
University College London
You can also email your application and supporting documentation, including references and transcripts, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please also email the PhD administrator, Daniella Harper, when you have submitted your application to the Admission Office. This will enable him to track the progress of your application.