Regster your interest picture link

How to apply as an independent visiting research student

How to apply

If you wish to apply independently as a visiting research student, you must check that your chosen department at UCL has a member of staff in the relevant academic field, who is both able and willing to supervise your research.

How to apply

You can apply to spend a period of 3 to 12 months at UCL undertaking research which is complementary to the Doctorate/PhD project at your home university.

To apply as an independent visiting research student you will need to submit the following:

  1. A completed Visiting Research Application Form.
  2. In section 26 you will need to include a statement of Academic Purpose outlining your research area and reasons for applying to UCL
  3. Official transcripts/diploma supplements for any Undergraduate or Postgraduate study previously awarded (see separate dropdown section for more information)
  4. Two academic references from members of academic staff at your home university who are familiar with your work
  5. For all students whose first language is not English, a copy of a recent English language test certificate in accordance with UCL's English language requirements.
  6. A completed Disability and Ethnic Monitoring Form

Our preferred method of receipt for all applications and documentation, including references and transcripts, is by email to

If it is not possible to send certain documents by email please arrange for them to be posted to:

UCL Admissions Office

Registry and Student Services
University College London
Gower Street


You must include two completed reference forms with your application. The reference forms are available as part of the Visiting Research Application Form.

Both of these references should come from members of academic staff at your home university who are familiar with your work and should be sent to us directly by your referees to

Transcripts/Diploma Supplements

Please include digital or scanned copies of official transcripts/diploma supplements in English, containing details of all the subjects or courses studied, the marks that you obtained, and the qualifications awarded for any Undergraduate or Postgraduate study.

If you hold a General Medical Council/General Dental Council registration, you are not required to send official transcripts. Please provide your registration number instead.

We also require evidence of your PhD registration, so please include a scanned copy of such proof from your current institution.


All applications should be received at least 3 months before your proposed start date at UCL. If your application is incomplete (i.e. missing proof of English Language or official academic transcripts) you should allow more time.

Tuition fees

Tuition fees are calculated on a pro-rata basis and will vary by department and length of your stay at UCL. For a precise tuition fee quote you should contact the fees office directly once an offer has been made quoting your student number.

After you have applied

UCL will inform you of its decision as soon as possible after receiving your application. If you are accepted you will be sent an offer letter in the post and an email notification.

If you wish to accept your offer of study at UCL you should return your Offer Reply Form (included with the email notification) to

Once you have received an offer, you are eligible to apply for housing, full details of which can be found on the accommodation website. The housing deadline for graduate students is 30 June (for September start) and you need to have accepted your offer before any housing allocation can be considered.

Pre-arrival information and details of the International Student Orientation Programme (ISOP) can be found on the UCL International Student Support website from August (for September starters) or December (for January starters).

Page last modified on 12 sep 13 14:47

Page Support l Disclaimer
Page maintained by UCL Communications and Marketing