Eastman Dental Institute



We offer three types of research degree:

Professional Doctorate:

DDent: Paediatric Dentistry

This three-year programme of full-time study requires the completion of a specified number of taught components and (where applicable) practical assignments plus a research thesis. Additionally, it is expected that the student will undertake a certain number of clinical sessions as part of this program.

Applicants must hold an approved dental qualification and have a minumum of two years' clinical experience post-qualification. This programme has one entry point in September each year. 


MPhil/PhD: Doctor of Philosophy (Science/Clinical)

Programme Code: RRDEDISING01

This is a three-year full time or five-year part time programme which offers the possibility for students to undertake a research project under the guidance of a primary supervisor from Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering, Microbial Diseases, Clinical Research may be laboratory or clinically relevant depending on the needs of the research project.

Four years Clinical Experience MPhil/PhD: Doctor of Philosophy (Science/Clinical)

Programme Code: RRDEDIS4YR01

This is a full-time, four-year course which offers the opportunity to work on a science or clinically-relevant project under the guidance of a supervisor. However, the student will be linked with a clinical unit depending on his/her trained specialisation. The student will be offered the chance to sustain limited clinical activity during the course depending on the demands of the hosting division.

Entry requirements

All applicants must meet UCL's general entry requirements for MPhil/PhD.

Any applicant who is not a national of a UK Home Office majority English-speaking country is required to provide recent (within two years of the programme start date) evidence of English language proficiency.

The English language level for the MPhil/PhD programmes is: Level 3 

The DDent programme requires Level 2. 

Further information can be found on UCL's English language requirements page.

How to Apply 

Applicant for the DDent can apply online

All prospective applicants, except those applying for advertised studentships, are encouraged to send an informal research enquiry. This should either be sent directly to the academic you are interested in working with or the Research Student Administrator.

Making a research enquiry helps define your interests, contributes to making your application successful and also serves to ensure the identification of the best possible supervisor for your needs. Read about our different departments.

Some of our applicants wish to submit their own research proposal. If you wish to do so, please make sure that first you identify a suitable supervisor with the correct expertise. If you are unsure, please contact the Research Student Administrator.

Tuition Fees

Visit UCL's website to view this year's fees

A note for EU students

The UK has now formally left the EU. Students from the EU, EEA and Switzerland who start their programme of study in 2021 or later will no longer be eligible for the UK (Home) fee status and will pay fees at the Overseas rate.