UCL Shale Gas Hub
Currently UCL makes use of its diverse academic staff to address the issue of shale gas from the fundamental processes within shale formations to engineering operations to developing policies for countries looking to use shale gas as an energy resource. Such projects include:
Shale Gas in the News
The potential for shale gas extraction in the UK:
- 'Fracking': The potential for shale gas in the north west
- Could Shale Gas Power the World?
- Fracking: answer to our energy crisis, or could it be a disaster for the environment?
- What is fracking and why is it controversial?
Seismic activity associated with hydraulic fracturing:
- Earth tremor risk of fracking on Lancashire coast 'low'
- Britain's new Eldorado: Forget North Sea oil, new map shows massive gas deposits under UK that could keep us self sufficient for years
Hydraulic fracturing is a widespread technique to extract shale gas, which is currently being implemented across the US. FRACTRACKER is a website designed to highlight where current operations occur.