This three-day CPD-accredited Masterclass provides a comprehensive overview of tinnitus and hyperacusis and strategies for assessing and managing these conditions in adults and children.
Dates: Wednesday 1 February - Friday 3 February 2023
Course Director: Dr Lucy Handscomb
During this long-established masterclass you will have opportunities to interact with a number of established international experts in the fields of tinnitus and hyperacusis and learn from them about theory, good clinical practice and recent research. You will also have an opportunity to discuss your own experience with a range of professionals from different backgrounds.
Who this course is for:
- Hearing therapists
- Clinical psychologists
- Audiovestibular doctors and other health professionals
You should have some experience working with or observing patients with tinnitus and/or hyperacusis. People who are just beginning to work in this area are also very welcome.
The course covers a wide range of topics on tinnitus and hyperacusis, including
- The neurophysiology of tinnitus and hyperacusis
- Clinical assessment and management strategies for adults and children
- New developments and current research
These topics will be covered through a mixture of lecture presentations and interactive workshops. Supplementary learning material will be available on the course website.
- Recorded presentations
- Video clips
- Written material (e.g. research papers, links to websites)
- Online Q&A forums
The course is led by Dr Lucy Handscomb, with contributions from several experienced researchers and clinicians from the UK and overseas. All materials will be available via the dedicated course page on UCLExtend.
- Course organisers
- Dr Lucy Handscomb, UCL Ear Institute
- Magdalena Margol-Gromada , UCL Ear Institute
- List of confirmed contributors
- Learning outcomes
Following this course, you will:
- Be able to describe the theories of tinnitus generation and scientific evidence in terms of neurophysiological mechanisms linked to tinnitus and hyperacusis
- Have knowledge of key current research on tinnitus and hyperacusis
- Be able to use effective assessment strategies with patients
- Be able to describe a range of therapies for tinnitus and hyperacusis and the differences between them
- Know how to manage hyperacusis and tinnitus in children and special populations
- Costs, Certificates and accreditation
You'll receive a certificate of attendance for completion of the masterclass. This masterclass is suitable for British Academy of Audiology Higher Training scheme candidates undertaking the tinnitus and hyperacusis module.
Cost: £500 without assessments; £1075 with assessments
Payment via UCLExtend must be made no later than 1 week before the first session (by 25 January).
NB: Your place on the course is not secured until payment has cleared. If you are paying via invoice, this means that a purchase order number must be provided prior to the course start.
- Booking via UCLExtend for Tinnitus & Hyperacusis (Attendance only)
- Booking via UCLExtend for Tinnitus & Hyperacusis (Attendance and certification)