Dementia Research Centre


Contact details of organisations providing information and support

This page has the contact details of a number of different organisations that may be of help to people with PCA. You may also be interested in our page listing support and benefits that people with PCA may be eligible for.


Ability Net

Information on and tools for screen-reading, voice recognition and information technology

Tel. 0800 269545
Email: enquiries@abilitynet.org.uk
Website: www.abilitynet.org.uk

^ back to top

Age UK

A charity providing services for older people in the UK. Local activities vary from providing advice and information to running day centres, over-60s clubs, transport schemes and home-sitting services

Tel. 0800 009966
Website: www.ageconcern.org.uk

^ back to top

Admiral nurses

A telephone information and support line for family carers, people with dementia and professionals

Tel. 0845 257 9406
Email: direct@fordementia.org.uk
Website: www.fordementia.org.uk

^ back to top

Alzheimer's Society

Provides support through a network of branches, support groups and contact people. A wide range of services are available, ranging from day centres and sitting services to information and advice

Helpline tel. 0845 300 0336 Mon-Fri. 8am to 6pm
Website: www.alzheimers.org.uk

^ back to top

Alzheimer's Society Talking Point

An online discussion board run by the Alzheimer's Society for carers to exchange messages with others who may be in a similar situation

Website: forum.alzheimers.org.uk

^ back to top

Assist UK

Offers free and impartial advice to disabled people and their carers on disability equipment. Some centres also advise on clothing, footwear and continence management.

Tel. 0870 770 2866
Email: general.info@assist-uk.org
Website: www.assist-uk.org

^ back to top

At Dementia

This website brings together information about assistive technology that has the potential to support the independence and leisure opportunities of people with dementia.

Website: www.atdementia.org.uk

^ back to top

Benefits Enquiry Line (BEL)

National, free telephone advice and information service on benefits for people with disabilities, their carers and representatives. Note that advisers can send out forms and give advice but they have no access to personal records.

Tel. 0800 88 22 00 Mon-Fri 8.30am-6.30pm and Sat 9.00am-1.00pm
Email: BEL-Customer-Services@dwp.gsi.gov.uk
Website: www.direct.gov.uk/disability-money

^ back to top

CANDID (Counselling ANd Diagnosis in Dementia)

A nurse-led advice and information service for patients and their families attending the Specialist Cognitive Disorders service at the National Hospital.

Helpline tel. 020 7676 2086 Fri 10am-1pm

^ back to top

Carers UK

Aims to encourage carers to recognise their own needs, to provide information and advice, to campaign for carers and to develop appropriate support for carers. They have a range of useful publications, including an information pack for Young Carers.

Carers Line tel. 0808 808 7777 Mon-Fri 10-12am - 2-4pm
Website: www.carersuk.org

^ back to top

Carers Emergency Scheme (Carers UK)

Operates in most areas allowing carers to draw up and register an emergency plan in case they cannot continue with the caring

Tel. 0808 808 7777
Email: adviceline@carersuk.org
Website: www.carersuk.org/Information/Findinghelp/EmergencySchemesList

^ back to top

Citizens Advice Bureau

The service has welfare rights workers who offer advice on benefits and enduring power of attorney. They may also have information on grants available for adaptations that you may need in your house.

Tel. 0845 050 5250
Website www.citizensadvice.org.uk

^ back to top

Council and Care

Charity that provides free and confidential advice for people over 60 and their relatives, friends and carers on subjects such as welfare benefits or help at home. The charity has a particular expertise in residential care.

Tel. 020 7241 8555 (general enquiries)
Advice line: 0845 300 7585 (weekdays 10am-4pm except Wednesdays: 10am-1pm)
Email: advice@counselandcare.org.uk
Website: www.counselandcare.org.uk

^ back to top


Organisation that runs a network of care attendant schemes in England and Wales.

Tel. 0845 450 0350
Website: www.crossroads.org.uk

^ back to top

Department for Work and Pensions

The government department responsible for employment and social security. Its website gives details of the various benefits and how to claim them, and has claim forms available to download.

Tel. 08457 123456
Website: www.dwp.gov.uk

^ back to top

Department of Health

The government department responsible for health, social care, and the National Health Service (NHS). Provides a range of information and literature, including on help with NHS costs.

Tel. 020 7210 4850 9.00am-5.00pm
Website: www.dh.gov.uk

^ back to top


The DirectGov website provides information about benefits, details of rates and printable claim forms.

Website: www.gov.uk

^ back to top

Disabled Living Foundation

The DLF has two websites with advice and products to make daily living easier.

Website: www.livingmadeeasy.co.uk , www.dlf.org.uk/sara

Tel. 0845 130 9177

^ back to top

Drivers Medical Group (DVLA)

The section of the DVLA concerned with drivers with a medical condition that may affect their fitness to drive.

Tel. 0870 600 0301 Mon-Thur 8am-8.30pm, Fri and Sat 8am-5.30pm
Email: eftd@dvla.gsi.gov.uk
Website: www.dvla.gov.uk

^ back to top

Medic Alert®

A non-profit making, registered charity providing identification bracelets or necklets for individuals with hidden medical conditions and allergies. In an emergency, vital information is available on the back of the MedicAlert® Emblem. Medical and emergency personnel can then telephone the given number and by quoting the ID number and after clearing security checks, they can receive further important details where appropriate. For example: name and address, doctor's details, current drug therapy or next of kin.

Tel. 0800 581 420
Website: www.medicalert.org.uk

^ back to top

National Association for Voluntary Community Action

The service can provide information about voluntary organisations in your area

Tel. 0114 278 6636
Email: navca@navca.org.uk
Website: www.navca.org.uk

^ back to top

Office of the Public Guardian

The OPG supports and promotes decision making for those who lack capacity or would like to plan for their future, within the framework of the Mental Capacity Act 2005. It provides information on Lasting Power of Attorney and receivership. The court of protection is at the same address.

Tel. 0845 330 2900 Mon-Fri 9.00am-5.00pm
Email: customerservices@publicguardian.gsi.gov.uk
Website: www.publicguardian.gov.uk

^ back to top

Princess Royal Trust for Carers

Information, advice and support services across a UK network of carer's centres

Tel. 0844 800 4361
Website: www.carers.org

^ back to top

Royal Institute for Blind People (RNIB)

Offers support and information about services and equipments for partially sighted and blind people.

TEL. 020 7388 1266
Email: resource@rnib.org
Website: www.rnib.org.uk

^ back to top

The Thomas Pocklington Trust

Offers housing and support for people with sight loss.

Website: http://www.pocklington-trust.org.uk/

^ back to top

The Torch Trust

An international Christian organisation providing support for partially sighted and blind people.

Tel. 01858 438260
Email: info@torchtrust.uk
Website: www.torchtrust.org