UCL Careers


Work outside the UK

Working outside the UK is a great opportunity to explore new environments and gain international perspectives.


Why work abroad?

Working outside of the UK is beneficial for lots of reasons, some of which can be found on “Why intern abroad”.

Country-specific vacancies in myUCLCareers

Many overseas recruiters do target UCL and will advertise vacancies through us. Log in to your myUCLCareers account and use the “Country” filter or “Quick search” to find opportunities in specific countries or regions.

myUCLCareers: Search for vacancies


UCL Careers subscribes to this online resource to give you direct access to country-specific resources including:

  • “Career guides” which will list local job search resources
  • A “Jobs” and an “Internships” vacancy search engine
  • “Employer directory”

GoinGlobal: Log in

UCL Online Careers Library

Use search tags such as “Working abroad” and/or the name of a country to get listings of resources including:

  • “Country profile” guides to working overseas
  • Country-specific job sites for some countries - search for the country and “job site”

UCL Online Careers Library

Cost of living abroad

Make sure to look into the cost of living of the country you are planning to work in. Do this as early as possible, to help plan your budgets.

You can use Numbeo to help you with finding out the cost of living of the city or country you are visiting. Numbeo even allows you to compare costs between locations, in case you have a few options in mind.

Overseas internship agreements and Convention de Stage

Overseas recruiters often require a three-way agreement between the University, the student and themselves, (as the internship provider), which may cover a range of different things depending on the role and the company.

Will UCL sign it for me?

If the internship forms part of your degree through a year abroad programme, the Study abroad office can provide more information on how you can get it approved before you start work.

If the opportunity is not part of your degree and you have sourced it yourself, the Study abroad office may be able to provide a modified version of the agreement. This confirms that you are enrolled as a current student at UCL. It also gives advice on dealing with requests for this type of agreement from recruiters.

How should I approach the employer if they ask for one?

It's a good idea to talk to the employer directly about what exactly they need and what it needs to say. Most larger companies will be used to receiving applications from UK students and will be aware that not all students can get the recruiter's own version of the Convention de Stage document from their University. If you talk to them about it, you may be able to agree an acceptable alternative.

International student employment data dashboard

We are often asked if we hold data on what students from particular countries will go on to do after leaving UCL, and where they do it. Our data dashboard is a way we can share the information we hold with our current students.