What to expect
This new programme of lunchtime small group workshops will give you the opportunity to work with other students on your applications, share ideas and receive advice from the trained facilitator. The programme will allow you to take practical steps to developing your own applications in a supportive environment.
- A CV session where you will be asked to come along with a CV for a particular role that you are applying for. Working in small groups and with the facilitator you will have the opportunity to discuss and receive feedback on your CV.
- A Speculative Applications session that will increase your confidence and understanding of how to develop your speculative cover letter for an unadvertised job or internship.
- A session on showcasing skills with STAR that will develop your ability to complete application form (and interview) questions effectively. You will have the opportunity to identify appropriate examples from your experiences, write structured STAR answers and receive immediate feedback on your work.
From 2020 the programme of small group workshops will be repeated on a regular basis throughout the Autumn and Spring terms and again, post-exams, in the Summer.
- The number of participants at each Career Essentials Group Work session is limited and all sessions must be booked in advance through your myUCLCareers account. You will receive instructions here of any preparation that you must complete in advance of the session, such as putting a CV together to bring along to the session.
- Bookings will open two weeks before each event takes place.
- On the events calendar, use the “Event type” filter to find all Career Essentials events.
- For email alerts on when you can book a place at specific events, we recommend that you update your myUCLCareers "email preferences" to sign up for our "Event update" emails.