What to expect
This series of lunchtime talks and experiential workshops led by our team of Career Consultants provide insight, advice and interactive opportunities to engage with all aspects of careers management and navigating selection processes, no matter where you are in your careers thinking.
- Understanding the graduate job and postgraduate study market
- Career decision-making
- Effective networking
- Writing successful applications
- Mock aptitude tests and personality profiling
- Interview success
- Finding and funding a PhD
- Getting to grips with LinkedIn and social media
Career Essentials aims to equip you with the key know-how to begin to move forward and engage more confidently with 'Finding your Future'...
The programme of talks and workshops is repeated on a regular basis throughout the Autumn and Spring terms and again, post-exams, in the Summer.
- All Career Essentials events must be booked through your myUCLCareers account.
- Booking will open two weeks before each event takes place
- On the events calendar, use the 'Event type' filter to find all Career Essentials events
- For email alerts on when you can book a place at specific events, we recommend that you update your myUCLCareers "email preferences" to sign up for our "Event update" emails
Slides, handouts and recordings
For all Career Essentials events, through the Resources section of our website, we aim to provide links to any relevant resources, (Lecturecast recordings, presentation slides, information sheets etc.), within a fortnight following the event.
Unable to attend
Not a problem – in addition to the resources provided after each specific event, you also have access to 'Career Essentials Online'.
This modular eLearning course is designed to allow you to engage with all aspects of graduate careers when it suits you.
Courses comprise information, video tutorials, interactive quizzes and exercises, action sets and key resources to help you move forward and take ownership of your future.
- Your future and how to work towards it
- Understanding the graduate job market
- Sourcing jobs and work experience
- How do you write effective job applications
- Interview success
- Surviving the job hunt
There is also detailed information on how UCL Careers can support you throughout the course.
Watch our short introductory video on making the most of Career Essentials online to get an understanding of how the course could help you.