- ISUS 2018: The 15th Conference of the International Society for Utilitarian Studies will take place at Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT), Germany.
*Call for Papers now open!*
The main theme of the conference is is ‘Utility, Progress and Technology’, and the conference will be supported by KIT’s Institute of Technology Futures as well as the recently founded German Society for Utilitarian Studies.
Keynote speakers include Julia Driver (Washington University in St. Louis) and Anders Sandberg (University of Oxford). Dieter Birnbacher (Düsseldorf University) will deliver a public lecture on July 23 (in German, English text will be provided).
Participants of ISUS are welcome to join any of three workshops on July 27-28 also held at KIT:
- J.S. Mill’s Naturalism (organised by Philipp Schink, speakers include David Brink)
- Prioritarianism (organised by Annette Dufner, Vuko Andric and Rudolf Schuessler, speakers include Nils Holtug, Ingmar Persson, Wlodek Rabinowicz, Shlomi Segall, Alex Voorhoeve)
- Derek Parfit’s Philosophical Legacy (organised by Christian Seidel, speakers tbc)
There will also be a summer school for students (undergraduate as well as postgraduate) on July 22-23.
Professional third-party childcare will be available during the conference.
We invite submissions of abstracts (about 200 words) for the main conference. The list of possible topics includes but is not limited to:
- Classical and modern thinkers in the utilitarian tradition (e.g. Jeremy Bentham, John Stuart Mill, Henry Sidgwick, Derek Parfit, Richard Hare, Peter Singer)
- Topics related to utilitarianinism in ethics or political philosophy (e.g. varieties of utilitarianism, consequentialism, enhancement, population ethics, world poverty)
- Normative questions arising from the use of technology in general (e.g. geoengineering, automated driving, robotics, biotechnology, information technology)
Speakers at ISUS are invited to submit a full paper of about 3000 words by October 31, 2018, for a refereed open-access print-on-demand proceedings volume to be published by KIT Scientific Publishing under licence CC-BY-SA 4.0. (authors are free to republish the material fully or in part elsewhere).
- Feb. 2, 2018: submission of abstracts
- March 15, 2018: notification of acceptance
- July 22-23, 2018: summer school
- July 23, 2018: public lecture, informal get-together
- July 24-26, 2018: ISUS main conference
- July 27-28, 2018: satellite workshops
- Oct. 31, 2018: submission of full papers
- Dec. 2018: publication of conference volume
More information about the submission of abstract coming soon on the conference website.
Previous ISUS Conferences
- 2016, 6-8 July, Lille Catholic University, France
- 2014, 20-22 August, Yokohama National University, Japan
- 2012, 8-11 August, Stern School of Business, New York University, USA
- 2011, 23-25 June, Università di Pisa, Italy
- 2008, 11-14 September, University of California, Berkeley, USA
- 2006, 5-7 April, University College London, UK. John Stuart Mill Bicentennial Conference
- 2005, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH, USA
- 2004, Wake Forest, USA
- 2003, Lisbon, Portugal. Utilitarianism, Human Rights and Globalization
- 2002, Tokyo, Japan. Colloquium on the Economic Thought of Jeremy Bentham