XClose

Arts and Sciences (BASc)

Home
Menu

BASC0015 Psychology in the Real World

LecturerProf Vincent Walsh
Suitable for:Health and Environment and Societies
Assessment:Individual 3,000 word essay (60%)
Oral presentation based on the project - 10 minutes per student plus 5 minutes for questions (40%)
Taught:Term 2 of Year 2
Lecture: 2-4pm on Tuesdays (before Reading Week)
Seminar: 2-4pm on Tuesdays OR 4-6pm on Tuesdays (after Reading Week)
Module level:Level 5
Credit value:15 credits

This course takes an interdisciplinary view of psychology and sets leading experimental and theoretical results within real-world contexts. The aim of the course is to introduce students to the application of psychology in the real world and the consequences of misunderstandings in the public sphere as opposed to the resolution of problems in the laboratory.  Students will be introduced to the use of psychology in business and industry, sport, public policy, education, the media and other areas of the real world.  They will learn the difference between experimental aims and the public use of experimental data and to appreciate the challenges of how to communicate complex neuro-scientific data to the public.

Students will understand the distinction between the theoretical concepts of laboratory science and the real world and to develop the skill to be able to apply one to the other. They will be able to embed and translate neuro-scientific concepts into real life by assessing and evaluating scientific data.

Central questions of the course will be what are the constraints for applying laboratory principles and theory to the real world and how do we use and apply psychological practice for individuals and for groups and organisations.

At the end of the course students should be able to engage in discussion about psychology and cognate subjects with experts in the field such as educators, policy-makers and journalists.

Delivered through a series of weekly lectures and small group practical tuition, students will be given a choice of topics of psychology and neuroscience on which to base their projects (5,000 words, worth 80% of the module). The remaining 20% of the assessment will be an oral presentation based on the project.

Students enrolled on the module can view more information on Moodle.

YouTube Widget Placeholderhttps://youtu.be/EHG4kL4LRDY