The BHP Billiton Sustainable Communities/UCL Grand Challenge Symposium Series was established in 2012 to bring together various stakeholders integral to the debate around issues of global concern.
The series has a particular focus on the sustainability of natural resources and the links between resources and the four UCL Grand Challenges: Sustainable Cities, Global Health, Intercultural Interaction and Human Wellbeing.
The series began in 2012 and will run over five years. It began with a strategy and question setting forum, before taking a more in-depth look at each of the Grand Challenges in turn.
- 2012: Closing the Gap: Aligning strategies towards sustainable resource use
- 2013: Sustainable Resources for Sustainable Cities
- 2014: Stewardship for Planet Earth: Sustainable Resources & Governance – Evidence, Challenges and Solutions
- 2015: Global Food Security: Adaptation, Resilience and Risk
- 2016: Water SDGs and Future Water Management