Urban Regeneration in China: What Model Now?
14 October 2021, 12:30 pm–2:30 pm
A China Planning Research Group Seminar
Zoom Meeting ID 984 4653 6969
Yongqingfang, near the Enning Road in Guangzhou, is perhaps the most studied old urban neighbourhood in China. To what extent can this research site generate insights about changing practice of urban redevelopment in China? This workshop invites the authors who published papers on this area (see reference) to highlight their research experience and reflect on key concepts such as property-led redevelopment, gentrification and displacement, the role of the state, public participation, and collaborative planning. The workshop is part of ‘rethinking China’s urban governance’ series.
- Wang, M., Zhang, F., & Wu, F. (2021). Governing urban redevelopment: A case study of Yongqingfang in Guangzhou, China. Cities https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cities.2021.103420.
- Wu, F., Zhang, F., & Liu, Y. (2021). Beyond growth machine politics: Understanding state politics and national political mandates in China’s urban redevelopment. Antipode https:// doi.org/10.1111/anti.12781.
- Yao, Z., Li, B., Li, G., & Zeng, C. (2021). Resilient governance under asymmetric power structure: The case of Enning Road Regeneration Project in Guangzhou, China. Cities, 111, 102971.
- Ye, L., Peng, X., Aniche, L. Q., Scholten, P. H., & Ensenado, E. M. (2021). Urban renewal as policy innovation in China: From growth stimulation to sustainable development. Public Administration and Development, 41(1), 23-33.
- Yu, Y., Hamnett, C., Ye, Y., & Guo, W. (2021). Top-down intergovernmental relations and power-building from below in China’s urban redevelopment: An urban political order perspective. Land Use Policy, 109, 105633.
This workshop has received funding from the European Research Council (ERC) under the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovaBon programme (grant agreement No 832845) (Advanced Grant) – ChinaUrban.
For CPRG event notices, please join or visit: http://eepurl.com/-L-l9 /Urban-China.Org
About the Speakers
Prof. Fulong Wu
Professor of Planning at Bartlett School of Planning, UCL
Fulong Wu's research interests include urban development in China and its social and sustainable challenges. He is the principle investigator of ERC ChinaUrban project.More about Prof. Fulong Wu
Prof. Lin Ye
at Sun Yat-sen University / Guangzhou International Urban Innovation Research Center
Lin Ye is a Professor and Associate Dean at School of Government, Sun Yat-sen University and the director of Guangzhou International Urban Innovation Research Center in Guangzhou, China. His research focuses on metropolitan development, urban politics, and governance issues.
Dr. Yang Yu
Associate Professor in the Department of Urban Planning and Management at Renmin University of China
His research interests focus on urban governance and urban renewal in Chinese cities.
Dr. Bin Li
Assistant Research Professor in Peking University Shenzhen Graduate School, at Peking University, Shenzhen
His research interests include urban regeneration, urban governance and comparative urban studies.
PhD Candidate at Bartlett School of Planning, UCL
Her research interests include urban redevelopment, urban governance and gentrification in China.More about Manqi Wang