PhD supervisor: Professor Frederic Schwartz
Working title for PhD: 'Embodying Abstraction: The Multimedia Works of Wassily Kandinsky, Natalia Goncharova and Kurt Schwitters, 1909-1928'
Cecilia holds degrees in Music (BA, 2:i) and History of Art (MSt, Distinction) from the University of Oxford. In March 2016 she was shortlisted for the Ivan Juritz Prize for Creative Responses to Modernism for her staging of Kandinsky's The Yellow Sound. In 2016/17 Cecilia staged an unperformed Ballets Russes project, Liturgie, and a Dadaist opera, Collision with Spectra Ensemble as part of her research. Cecilia has previously worked for the Ashmolean Museum of Art and Archaeology, Oxford, The Peggy Guggenheim Collection, Venice, British Youth Opera and Opera Holland Park, London.
Cecilia's PhD is funded by the London Arts and Humanities Partnership
Research Interests: Aesthetics (particularly in relation to twentieth-century ideas of medium specificity and truth to materiality in visual art criticism); Critical Theory; Synaesthesia; Music and Visual Culture; Wagner and the twentieth-century reception of Gesamtkunstwerk; Media Theory; Performance Studies; Practice as Research; Opera Studies.
- Collision, a "comic opera in banalities" by Kurt Schwitters and Lewis Coenen-Rowe at Grimeborn Opera Festival, The Arcola Theatre, London, 17, 18 & 19 August 2017 and The Greenwood Theatre, London, 24 & 25 May 2017 Liturgie, a ballet-opera by Sergei Diaghilev and his Ballets Russes, reinvented by Chappell, Jetzer, McGarrigle, Muir and Stinton at Tête à Tête Opera Festival, The Place, London, 25 July 2017 and By Other Means Gallery, London, 15, 16 & 17 December 2016 - https://vimeo.com/228654182
- The Yellow Sound, a colour opera by Wassily Kandinsky and Thomas de Hartmann/GuntherSchuller at the Jacqueline du Pré Music Building, St Hilda's College, Oxford, May 2015 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOMHT-8v_Vo&t=13s
- 'Collage and Crisis? An interdisciplinary symposium on fragmentation and the European twentieth-century avant-garde', Institute for Advanced Studies, University College London, 26 May 2017.
- 'Collaborating with the Future: The Ballets Russes' Unperformed Liturgie' at the International Diaghilev Conference, St. Petersburg State Museum of Theatre and Music, Russia 30 November 2017.
- 'Painting with Light: Staging The Yellow Sound with Spectra Ensemble (2015)' at the International Kandinsky and Theatre Conference, Moscow Art Theatre, Russia, 26 November 2017.
- 'Performing Colour and Staging Sound: Revisiting Kandinsky's Multimedia Project' translated and delivered by Professor Boris Sokolov at 'Wassily Kandinsky: Synthesis of Arts, Synthesis of Cultures, International Conference', Lomonosov Moscow State University and the Pushkin Museum, Russia 15 December 2016.
- Teaching Assistant, Methodologies of Making, Spring Term, 2018.