Institute of Orthopaedics
- Student programmes
- Research centres
- Academic Staff
- Administrative Staff
- Technical Staff
- Research Staff
- In the Spotlight
- Institute History
- Contact Us
- Musculoskeletal Regeneration Steering Group (MRSG)
Dr Steve Taylor
Measurement of forces acting on orthopaedic implants in vivo:
Development work on modified bone tumour, shoulder and tibial nail implants has led to instrumented versions of these implants for measuring the forces acting across the implants in selected subjects in vivo during activity. These implants are powered and interrogated by magnetic induction. Measured in vivo data from these studies are used to assess implant loosening, study the biomechanics of load transfer across joints, provide forces to inform rehabilitation regimes, provide data for validating mathematical models, and for implant testing machines.
Currently instrumented implants in development are the reverse-anatomy shoulder prosthesis for rotator cuff arthropathy, a separate compartment tibial tray, and several generations of a tibial nail. The first instrumented glenoid replacement was implanted in Jan 2009.
Remotely extendible implants: development of drive unit for the Stanmore extendible femoral growing prosthesis for children with bone tumours. PhD project supervision for spinal implant lengthening for scoliosis patients. These projects involve magnetic coupling for transfer of power into the implant for extension.
Sensewheel: a lightweight instrumented wheelchair wheel which measures pushrim forces and telemeters them to a laptop, tablet or mobile phone. Application to wheelchair user mobility and propulsion efficiency; related to shoulder pain.
remotely extendible implants
Course Tutor/convenor/admissions tutor for intercalated BSc in Orthopaedic Science. Biomechanics and biotelemetry; strain measurement.
- Al-Ajam Y, Lancashire H, Pendegrass C, Kang N, Dowling R, Taylor SJG, Blunn G (2013). The use of a bone-anchored device as a hard-wired conduit for transmitting EMG signals from implanted muscle electrodes. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, (99), - . doi:10.1109/TBME.2013.2241060
- Dahan N, Donaldson N, Taylor SJG, Sereno N (2013). The Application of PEEK to the Packaging of Implantable Electronic Devices: Water Permeation Calculation Method and Maximum Achievable Lifetime with Desiccant. J Microelectronics and Electronic Packaging, 10, 15 - 22.
- Mordecai SC, Lambert SM, Meswania JM, Blunn GW, Bayley IL, Taylor SJG (2011). An experimental glenoid rim strain analysis for an improved reverse anatomy shoulder implant fixation. J Orthop Res, (DOI: 10.1002/jor.22015), - .
- Faroug R, McCarthy ID, Meswania J, Janna S, Wilson D, Taylor SJG (2011). Strain response of an instrumented intramedullary nail to three-point bending. J Medical Engineering and Technology, 35(5), 275 - 282. doi:10.3109/03091902.2011.582227
- Meswania JM, Taylor SJG, Blunn GW (2008). Design and characterization of a novel permanent magnet synchronous motor used in a growing prosthesis for young patients with bone cancer. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers - Part H: Journal of Engineering in Medicine, 222(3), 393 - 402. doi:10.1243/09544119JEIM247
- Shah AD, Taylor SJG, Hua J (2006). Correlation of radiographic and telemetric data from massive implant fixations. Journal of Biomechanics, 39(7), 1304 - 1314. doi:10.1016/j.jbiomech.2005.03.023
- Gupta A, Meswania J, Pollock R, Cannon SR, Briggs TW, Taylor S, Blunn G (2006). Non-invasive distal femoral expandable endoprosthesis for limb-salvage surgery in paediatric tumours.. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery - Series B, 88(5), 649 - 654.
- Taylor SJG, Walker PS (2001). Forces and moments telemetered from two distal femoral replacements during various activities. Journal of Biomechanics, 34(7), 839 - 848. doi:10.1016/S0021-9290(01)00042-2
- Taylor SJG, Walker PS, Perry JS, Cannon SR, Woledge RC (1998). The forces in the distal femur and the knee during walking and other activities measured by telemetry. The Journal of Arthroplasty, 13(4), - .
- Lu TW, O'Connor JJ, Taylor SJG, Walker PS (1998). Validation of a lower limb model with in vivo femoral forces telemetered from two subjects. J BIOMECH, 31(1), 63 - 69.
- Taylor SJG, Perry J, Meswania JM, Donaldson N, Walker PS, Cannon SR (1997). Telemetry of forces from proximal femoral replacements and relevance to fixation. Journal of Biomechanics, 30((3)), 225 - 234.
- Bassey EJ, Littlewood JJ, Taylor SJG (1997). Relations between compressive axial forces in an instrumented massive femoral implant, ground reaction forces, and integrated electromyographs from vastus lateralis during various 'osteogenic' exercises. Journal of Biomechanics, 30((3)), 213 - 223.
- Lu TW, Taylor SJG, O'Connor JJ, Walker PS (1997). Influence of muscle activity on the forces in the femur: an vivo study. Journal of Biomechanics, 30((11/12), 1101 - 1106.
- Taylor SJG, Walker PS, Cannon SR, Woledge RC (1997). Direct measurement of femoral and knee forces using a telemetyrised distal femoral replacement.
- BASSEY EJ, LITTLEWOOD JJ, TAYLOR SJG (1995). GROUND REACTIONS, COMPRESSIVE AXIAL FORCES IN AN INSTRUMENTED FEMORAL IMPLANT AND IEMGS FROM VASTUS LATERALIS DURING OSTEOGENIC EXERCISES IN MAN. J PHYSIOL-LONDON, 489P, P45 - P46.
- Lee AJC, Taylor SJG, Donaldson (1992). Strain measurement in Biomechanics; chapter 6: Strain telemetry in orthopaedics.. doi:10.1007/978-94-011-2330-3_6
- Guimaraes RP, Taylor SJG, Blunn GW (). A Finite Element Study of Strain Distribution in an Instrumented Knee Prosthesis for Full Force Measurement in Vivo.
Page last modified on 09 jan 12 16:38