Modes and duration
Tuition Fees (2015/16)
- All applicants:
- 18 October 2015
All applicants must hold an approved dental qualification and have a minimum of two years' clinical experience post-qualification.
English language requirement: Good
If your education has not been conducted in the English language, you will be expected to demonstrate evidence of an adequate level of English proficiency.
International applicants can find out the equivalent qualification for their country by selecting from the list below.
Select your country:
Equivalent qualifications for Algeria
The programme aims to enhance the students’ knowledge and clinical applications of restorative dentistry, develop the skill of critical reading of published literature, and develop skills in research methodology and presentation.
Students undertake modules to the value of 180 credits.
The programme consists of six core modules (120 credits) and a research dissertation module (60 credits).
- Extramural Patient Logbook II
- Advanced Restorative Dentistry II
- Extramural Patient Logbook I
- The Restoration and Replacement of Teeth
- Advanced Restorative Dentistry I
- The Foundations of Restorative Dentistry
- There are no optional modules for this programme.
Each student undertakes a research project culminating in a 10,000–12,000 word report. Other options include the writing up of a systematic/critical review of the literature or a critical appraisal of a comprehensive patient treatment case.
Teaching and Learning
The programme is delivered through seminars, lectures and practical sessions in state-of-the-art skills laboratories, providing a highly supportive learning experience. Assessment is through practical, clinical and oral examinations including written papers, presentation of clinical cases and a dissertation.
More scholarships are listed on the scholarships website
Most graduates return to enhanced careers in general dental practice. A small number progress to full-time Master's programmes, sometimes with specialist training. One recent graduate progressed to a part-time PhD. Others develop a part-time career in teaching.
Top career destinations for this degree
- Essex Local Dental Network and Colchester Postgraduate Medical Centre , Chair and Postgraduate Dental Tutor, 2009,
- UCL Eastman Dental Institute , PhD Student, 2009,
- UCL Eastman Dental Institute , MSc Student, 2010,
- Self-Employed, Private Dental Practitioner, 2011,
- University of Warwick, Clinical Teacher in Endodontics, 2010,
Graduates use the qualification to improve their prospects of moving to better dental practices, setting up their own dental practices, progressing to full-time Master's programmes and specialist training, progressing to PhD level, and developing careers in teaching.
Why study this degree at UCL?
The programme is taught by eminent specialists on the Institute’s staff and complemented by respected visiting clinicians and teachers. Students benefit from first-class facilities and access to a wide range of clinical cases and techniques.
Find out more about the programme on the institute's Restorative Dental Practice MSc page.
Student / staff ratios › 80 staff › 420 taught students › 62 research students
Department: Eastman Dental Institute
Application and next steps
Students are advised to apply as early as possible due to competition for places. Those applying for scholarship funding (particularly overseas applicants) should take note of application deadlines.
Who can apply?
The programme is ideal for the general dental practitioner wishing to develop their practice in restorative dentistry in order to improve job-satisfaction and to be able to offer patients a higher level of care.
- All applicants
For more information see our Applications page.Apply now
What are we looking for?When we assess your application we would like to learn:
- your academic and professional background meets the demands of this programme
- why you want to study restorative dental practice at graduate level
- what particularly attracts you to this programme
- where you would like to go professionally with your degree and how this programme meets your needs.
- Together with essential academic requirements, the personal statement is your opportunity to illustrate whether your reasons for applying to this programme match what the programme will deliver.