UCL Institute of Neurology, Queen Square Library
- Address: Queen Square Library, UCL Institute of Neurology & the National Hospital, 1st Floor, 23 Queen Square, London, WC1N, UK
- Queen Square Library website
- Tel: 020 3448 4709 (Queen Square internal extension 84144)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Map of the area
The Queen Square Library (formerly called the Rockefeller
Medical Library) is the recognised Library for Neurology
within the University of London and supports
and clinical work of the Institute of Neurology
and the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery.
The Library contains an important specialist neurology, neurosurgery and neuroscience
collection, together with some general medical
The Queen Square Library also houses the Queen Square Archives and Museum. You can explore catalogued items and digitised versions of some the archives on the Queen Square Archives website.
Access to the library space
Access is via a short flight of stairs to the ground floor and then stairs or a lift to the 1st floor. A wheelchair lift is available to reach the ground floor but please contact us in advance to arrange for an operator to be available
One of the library's computer desk can be height adjusted.
Library staff are happy to help with arranging access to library materials; please contact the library.
Further information about our services is on our website.
Admissions / Who can use the library
Staff and students of UCL and staff of UCLH may register to borrow and those based in Queen Square will be 'home users'. Users from NHS Trusts with which UCL has a Service Level Agreement may also register to borrow. External visitors are admitted for reference only and will be asked to provide proof of identity and to sign the visitors book on arrival.
Photocopying & Printing
A photocopier (colour / black & white) and a printer (black & white only) are available. Photocopying and printing is charged at 5p per A4 sheet with payment by cash only. A scanner (colour / black & white) is available with scanning to USB stick only. All users must comply with copyright regulations, details of which are displayed next to the machines.
We are happy to help with enquiries, either in the library, by post, phone or e-mail. Unfortunately, we are unable to deal with specific medical queries from members of the public. However, Library staff have compiled and maintain a Patient Support Resource, a listing of support groups and charities for various neurological conditions.
Computers in the library
- Computers: we offer workspaces for up to 9 users at a time, each space offers access to two networks. ION networked computers give access to university 'walk-in' databases and electronic journals for registered Library users, please ask at the library desk for login details. UCLH networked computers give access to the UCLH desktop, accessible only for UCLH staff in possession of a UCLH username & password.
- Wifi: if you have your own laptop or other wifi-enabled device, the library offers EduRoam wifi for staff & students of UCL and UCL Guest wifi for visitors registered with UCL.
- Explore Access Point (EAP): the library has one EAP to provide visitors access to UCL Library Services Explore service.
Registered users from IoN and NHNN may apply for items to be borrowed or for copies of articles from other libraries via the Inter Library Loan service. There is a charge made per request for this service.
Current Awareness & Literature Searches
Registered users from IoN and NHNN may sign up for these services. The Current Awareness service provides a monthly update of new literature published in a chosen field. The Literature Search service offers staff a one-off search conducted by library staff (please note that library cannot undertake literature searching for students).
Registered users from IoN and NHNN may book a session with Library staff who offer expert training and advice on a wide range topics, particularly relating to databases, and electronic information and guides to the major databases are available from our web site.