UCL Library Services
Published: Apr 28, 2017 4:38:58 PM
Published: Apr 21, 2017 3:12:00 PM
Published: Apr 11, 2017 11:40:00 AM
Published: Apr 5, 2017 10:01:00 AM
Published: Mar 15, 2017 3:02:00 PM
UCL Laptop Loans for Students
About the service
The Laptop Loans for Students service provides a short term loan of a laptop to UCL students from the following UCL Library Services sites:
- Bartlett Library
- Cruciform Hub
- Institute of Archaeology Library
- Institute of Education Library
- Language and Speech Science Library
- Main Library
- Royal Free Medical Library
- School of Pharmacy Library
- Science Library
- SSEES Library
- Whittington Health Library
The Laptops may be borrowed from the self-service cabinets Monday-Friday between 08:00 and 20:00. Laptops must be returned by 22:00 on the day of loan, or the time the library closes, whichever is earlier.
Fines for late returns are charged at a rate of £5 per hour or part of an hour.
Laptops cannot be renewed remotely and have to be taken back to the library in order to borrow them again.
Laptops are set to reset themselves upon lid closure or shut down. The user is responsible for saving and backing up all work to their N: Drive or other external storage. Once the laptop has been turned off, unfortunately it is not possible to retrieve anything from the previous session.
Laptop loan declaration
Each time you borrow a laptop, you will be asked to agree to the following:
- I will return the laptop by the due time/date to the library from which it was borrowed, and if necessary report any damage to the Library/Service Desk.
- I understand that fines are payable for the late return of the laptop at a rate of £5 per hour, or part thereof.
- I understand that this laptop is for my personal use only, and I will not borrow it on behalf of a friend or colleague, or use it for work which is not educational or personal in nature.
- I will only save files to a removable memory device, or online cloud storage and understand that any files saved elsewhere on the laptop will be erased automatically when the laptop is shutdown or re-booted.
- I understand that no third party software can be downloaded or installed onto this laptop.
- UCL is not responsible for any damage to the borrower’s data storage device(s), loss of data caused by software, hardware, battery failure or computer viruses.
- I understand that if the laptop is lost, stolen or damaged in my care, I am liable to pay replacement costs in the region of £700.
For any queries or feedback about the laptop loans service, please submit a RemedyForce ticket.
- UCL Data Protection Policy
- UCL Computing Regulations (Acceptable Use Policy)
- UCL Connecting Equipment to the College Network Policy
- UCL Electronic Mail (e-mail) Policy
- UCL Monitoring Computer and Network Use Policy
- UCL Corporate Digital Data Ownership and Access Policy (.doc - access for UCL only)
- UCL Corporate Digital Data Ownership and Access Policy (.doc - public view)
- UCL Freedom of Information Policy
- UCL Environmental Information Policy
- UCL Authentication Principles (.pdf)
- UCL Password Policy and Principles (.pdf)
- UCL CCTV Policy (.pdf)
Page last modified on 12 jan 17 14:52