Call for papers: Cross-disciplinary conversations on sexualities, queerness and space
10 January 2018
This half-day symposium on the afternoon of Monday 19 March 2018 will bring together postgraduates working in range of disciplines and fields to explore research centring sexualities, queerness and space
The scope of this event is deliberately wide so as to facilitate engagements with sexualities and queer research from a range of disciplinary and inter-disciplinary perspectives.
The event seeks to create a supportive and productive environment for presenting research, and engaging with work by fellow postgraduates working on issues and topics relating to sexualities, queerness and space.
Postgraduates are invited to give 10 minute presentations. If you wish to present your research, please contact Laura Marshall (firstname.lastname@example.org) before 30 January 2018. Contexts and themes may include (but are not limited to):
- Theoretical approaches e.g. queer theory, trans studies, feminism, intersectionality, decolonial or post colonial theory, assemblages, phenomenology
- Methodological approaches, questions and quandaries
- Negotiating public, pseudo-public and private spaces
- Health and/or public heath
- Social justice, (in)equalities and/or citizenship
- Legislation and policy
- Migration and borders
- Kinship, relationships, monogamy/polyamory
- Embodiment, emotion and/or affect
- Art and performance
- Activism and protest
- LGBTQ+ identities and communities
Contribution by postgraduates presenting at various stages of their research are welcomed. For example, this may range from completed or nearly completed research, research in the process of analysing material or early stage students grappling with questions around methodology and research practice.
Six travel bursaries (up to £50), sponsored by the RGS-IBG, are available to students based outside of London. Student without access to other funding sources will be prioritised. Bursaries must be applied for by 2 March 2018.
If you wish to apply for a bursary, please email email@example.com a short statement detailing: (1) what funding your already receive; (2) if you have applied for internal funding; and (3) how you will benefit from attending the event.
The symposium is organised by the Space, Sexualities and Queer Research Group at the Royal Geographical Society (with IBG), and supported by the UCL Urban Laboratory and the Octagon Small Grants Fund at UCL's Institute for Advanced Studies.
- You can register to attend the event on Eventbrite.
- If you wish to attend and have specific needs please get in touch. Specific accessibility information will be shared shortly.
- Gender neutral bathrooms will be available.